Thunder 30 review by Orange

Orange: Thunder 30

Price paid: € 800

Purchased from: Local music store

I have the combo of the TH30. The amps features are as stated in previous reviews:

• Clean channel with volume, bass and treble control
  • Dirty channel with volume, shape and gain control
  • FX loop
  • Switchable wattage between 7-15-30 watts.
  • 12" voice of the world speaker
  • 2 x 8 ohm and 1 x 16 ohm output
  • A whole lot of preamp tubes and 4 x EL84 output tubes.
I choose this amp cause I liked the sounds but what really convinced me this was my amps was the simplicity of the controls. This does not mean it's a 1 trick pony. I just don't like to fiddle with the settings for a half hour before I get a sound I like. This amp is plug in adjust settings to the guitar and play. At first I thought I'd miss a built in reverb so I bought a reverb pedal but never used it so sold it again.

I've played this amp in a ska band and it was very good. At low volume the cleans are crystal clear but I'f you turn up the volume it breaksup nicely. If you want an amp that stays crystal clean on high volume this one is not for you. I played it with an Ibanez hollowbody with 59 pickups and it sounded great. Now I use the amp in a hardcore band so just the gain channel. Here you hear it's Orange. I use a Mahogony RG with 59-JB pickups and it screams. Here the shaped knob comes in, whether you want a scooped sound or boosted nasal mids this amp does it all with the twist of a single knob. It's easy to adjust depending on the venue. If you really crank the dirt I roll back up on the gain otherwise you loose some definition.

I've had it for + 3 years and the only damage I had is some wear and tear on the tolex but this stuff is meant to played, used, abused and butchered not pampered. Changed the output tubes once and because its cathode biased you can do it yourself if you can get a matched quad of EL84 tubes. The valves are secure in the socket. (REMEMBER IF YOU DO THIS YOURSELF ALWAYS UNPLUG THE AMPS A FEW HOURES IN ADVANCE TO AVOID SHOCK). I thinks this amp can survive a nuclear blast. It is built sturdy as a brick house.

At first I was scared that 30 watts was not gonna be enough for gigging but its plenty. I can crank it up pretty good in comparison to the other guitarist in my band who has a 120 watt Peavey. I like the whole amp, the simplicity of controls, the sound of clean and dirt channel, the fact that it is a portable amp. Plug in and play. I tried a few drive pedals but non sounded as good as the amp dirt so the only pedals I use at the moment is delay and tuner :) I'd buy it again if I would lose it or if it was stolen.