Tiny Terror review by Orange

Orange: Tiny Terror

I originally purchased the Tiny Terror to be used with my strat or tele for classic Hendrix/Gilmour/Trower/Clapton tones. This amp loves single coil pickups. Dime the volume knob all the way, turn the tone to 1 o'clock, let the gain sit around 30 percent and you might just hear what your guitar was supposed to sound like all of these years. The tone coming from the Tiny Terror at this setting is brutally honest. All of the beautiful imperfections in an old strat's tone come singing through.

The Tiny Terror would not be a true Orange classic if it were not able to handle the full on British assault. Crank up the gain and bring the tone control down a bit, then prepare for a clear yet surprisingly gnarly gain. Depending on the speaker cabinet being used, the Tiny Terror can get a little brittle at these settings. However, through an Orange 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet I heard nothing about the amps tone that I wanted to change. Through a less beefy cabinet you might notice a lack of low end as well. I personally feel most people have too much low end in their tone these days anyway and this amp sounds great in a dual guitar band setting. The tones cuts through a Live mix great and never gets out of hand with the high frequencies when moving up the fretboard. This amp is often used as a part of a studio engineer's arsenal. However, I've used this amp several times in a Live setting with much satisfaction.

Low wattage tube amps are a huge trend right now among amp enthusiasts. Being able to hear power tube overdrive at reasonable volumes is an increasing demand. The Orange Tiny Terror does a great job of delivering an authentic Vintage British overdrive tone in a small affordable package. I have seen some press on this amp giving it negative feedback for its inability to fill a large club. In my experience, most clubs ask the guitar players to turn down on stage to make head room for the front of house mix anyway.

The amp loses points in the low-end factor, which is only a concern for heavier styles. With the gain fully cranked it seemed to be a little too biting (depending on the cabinet). Other than these two negatives, jamming on this amp has been a pleasure. It has beautifully brought out many subtleties and nuances of my guitars and my playing. I would definitely recommend checking one out!

The amp I had is a Chinese model and is less than a year old. I have given the amp a reasonable amount of abuse and never have any concerns with it operating at gig time. The chassis seems to be very sturdy and all of the pots and jacks are solid as well.

British amp company Orange needs no introduction these days. The current Vintage boom in guitar and amplifier manufacturing has been weighing in these guys' favor for the past few years, and hopefully for many years to come. Current and classic models include the AD30, Rockerverb, and Thunderverb, and Rocker 30. If you are unfamiliar with these amps you owe it to yourself to make it to the nearest Orange dealer or at least check some audio clips out online. For British crunch and growl there aren't many amps out there doing it better. Beautifully and simply designed, the affordable Tiny Terror is a suitable younger sibling to these British monsters.

As far as features are concerned the Tiny Terror takes the meat and potatoes approach. This amplifier's exterior consist of an input, a volume knob, tone knob, gain knob, two 8 ohm speaker outputs, and one 16 ohm speaker output. Oh yeah, I can't forget about the wattage Switch which takes the amp from 15 watts of class A power to 7 watts (you will hear about a 20 percent difference in volume but noticeably more gain).

The interior of the amp is just as simple. Equipped with 2 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 EL84 power tubes, the Tiny Terror is about as simple as it gets. Don't let the absence of fancy buttons and knobs fool you. This little screamer is fully capable to rock!

samerika
    doesnt slipknot use orange?
    almogmon
    i own myself a tiny terror. the 112 cab gets it at pretty loud and i play a les paul standard through it. you might not get the heavyiest tones, but after adjusting it for a while, you can achieve the 'br00talz'. very nice cleans and the gain at midpoint is just wonderful.
    VintageZen
    tom_martin_123 wrote: why would u want a 200w P.A..... its gna be shit for that price isnt it. Aka.... the orange is actually quite well priced considering that it is class A tube sound
    Fuzzy Picklez
    VintageZen
    Fuzzy Picklez wrote: i have a question for you guys i live in canada and ive found a tiny terror and i played it and i love it i must have it BUT dun dun dun! the prices seem a bit steep before tax the cost for the head is $700 and an orange 1x12 cab is $400 i would like to know what everyone else is paying since this is a lot of money to me (im a teenage musician, do you think i would have much?)
    I thought it was $550 American?
    Fuzzy Picklez
    hm well thats still a bit much but its probably just the store, but they are the only orange dealer in my area that carries it 550.00 USD = 655.779 CAD
    VintageZen
    Fuzzy Picklez wrote: well thats still a bit much but its probably just the store, but they are the only orange dealer in my area that carries it 550.00 USD = 655.779 CAD
    Im behind in my currency. I always thought Canadian was worth more than US. Worse comes to worse resort to EBAY.
    almogmon
    And for the users who think TT can't play metal, don't upset yourself.. THIS IS REAL TONE! I play Unholy Confessions through it. Sounds almost indentical! Just need to know how to control it... don't crank the gain just about 3/4 will do the job without being too muddy and still getting that tone you want
    moshtradomus93
    I WANT AN ORANGE AMP!!!!! all the best bands use then such as the fall of troy and the mars volta
    AbbeH
    If you haven't seen this already, watch it or it would be more appropriate to say listen to this! Amazing... It convinced me
    LesPaulsRule
    I have a vox tonelab le and am looking for a valve head for under 400 that will go well with this pedal. Im looking at this and the new vox nightrain, as well as the 120w peavey windsor. Needs to be loud for gigs and band rehersals.
    minegoesto11
    Still the best $900 Dollars I have ever spent@ I've been beating up on my Tiny Terror for 2 years now and it's still solid as a rock. The Celestion speaker softened up after a year or so it now does gritty really well. I put in fresh Groove Tubes (mains) for a short while but they were way too bright for my taste. The vintage Fisher 12ax7's installed on the pre-amp side mellowed out the crunch and my TT now supplies better tone than I ever could have imagined. The head has been unceremoniously tossed into many car trunks and truck beds without a single problem and the Orange 1x12 cab is just as tough. Anybody wondering if 15 watts can carry the volume necessary to gig with can be assured that it will, I can drown out the drummer with ease and sound great doing it. Just Buy It!
    Captain Zan
    May be a stupid question, but is there a way to plug in headphones into this amp?
    prscustomse24
    Captain Zan
    prscustomse24 : dear capin zan i wish, my brothers yell at me for playing loud then they play just as loud if not louder, but i am almost 100% it doesnt, anyway my only problem with the tiny terror is one channel beside that love it Want it (just seen reviews though havent played it but have had friend play his in my garage with his prs custom 22) I reccommend dual terror for same sound plus 2 channels
    thanks man. I'll definitely thanks the dual terror into account.
    grelber
    Tested a TT today. First time. I was set to buy one. But. honestly the output is not enough for me. Im into semi clean sounds and the TT is too weak for this. Tried a Vox night train instead and it blew TT off the earth. costs more unfurtunately. butt sounds ten times better. sorry guys...
    tom_martin_123
    Ozwal
    thats some nice samples, maybe I Schold run it through to my 30 watt amp, it sounds really nice!
    Chrisiphone
    jay3213 wrote: Gay.....Looks so ugly... Thats probably cuz its made in the UK OHHHHhHhhHhhhH TAKE THAT YOU CROOKED TOOTH PEOPLE!
    Mesa fanboy hey? I'll just flag this post up for the mods.
    JoelTheShredder
    samerika wrote: 666_Pounder wrote: Lololol still seem to be the only person using an Orange amp for Metal :/ doesnt slipknot use orange?
    i think jim root uses orange cabs. but i think headwise they use rivera knuckleheads.
    Posiedeon
    Totally awsome! I own a "Tiny Terror". this is frickin awsome. my sister will never study peacefully again!
    xHellbound
    I had a tiny Orange amp, forgot the model. That amp burned out in less than a week. It had a nice tone for classic rock. I used to play Sunshine of Your Love on it. But then it broke.
    jaybe2k4
    didn't these get recalled because something's wrong with the transformer and they're unsafe?
    FightinIrishPJ
    i can't wait till i get mine next week. Christmas should come early. and jay3213, what's your problem?
    VintageZen
    How are the cleans on this bad boy? Because Im not a 100% Zeppelin freak (more like 30%) and i do play other stuff like experimental/math rock. However im not a clean obsessed person if thats what you're thinking. Just someone who loves the best of both worlds.
    TheMarsClyro
    BoSh55
    This amp sounds good but he worth the price? Does he reliable?
    Pertenozzo
    TheMarsClyro wrote: Really interested in looking into the tiny terror but nowhere local seems to have them. Anyone know if any shops in Manchester have them in and also, like VinategZen, i'd quite like to know if the cleans are for Math rock as well as the Zep?
    Orange is a traitor to your motherland!!! That can't be man seriously. People from the UK write to Orange please. That is BS. I'm getting my TT on the 22nd YEAH!!!!!
    ProgFolk12
    Chrisiphone
    PMT in Salford has a few, in the Gibson/Epiphone bit
    FightinIrishPJ
    ProgFolk12 wrote: Hmm i'm considering the TT...but i like the rocker 30 too...Do any of you know much about how much valves cost and how often they need replacing??
    tubes cost anywhere from 8 dollars to 50+ they need to be changed every few years depending on how loud you play, and how often. They are like lightbulbs basically. They burn out the more you use them and they can break.
    DRUR
    Great amp!!! I love it i bought it for about 2 veeks ago. It has a great sound! I have an Marshall "speaker-skope(as me and my friends call it)" If u vant a cheap amp then you should buy this!!! VERY NICE
    VintageZen
    lol always thought i was the only math rocker here. At least thats how it is in my local area. Nothing but Slash worshipers down where I live.
    Robchappers
    I have "Metal" demos of the Tiny Terror on my YouTube channel just search Tiny Terror metal. I also have a metal demo of the rockerverb 50. Rob Chappers
    TheMarsClyro
    I have met only one other person, in the flesh, who knows what Math rock is lol cheers Chrisiphone as well
    Jehuty7620
    Dude I can pick up a 200 watt P.A. for $320 at one of my local music stores. Orange is cool but that seems expensive to me.