3120 review by Peavey

Peavey: 3120

Purchased from: craigslist

it sounded amazing with my Ibanez Prestige RGA121 with the standard passive humbuckers. It also sounded fantastic with any other guitar I played through it. It was nice and quiet and could produce any sound I wanted it to with proper EQ usage. The distortion is what got me with this amplifier though. It's so heavy but clear at the same time. Play any kind of chord and you can hear all the notes with no problem. Those EL34's are amazing.

Absolutely floored. From the moment I played the amp at the guys house I was floored. It's perfect for heavy metal of all kinds, and could even be used to play jazz. I unfortunately had to sell it to move across the country (thanks military...) and it broke my heart into a million pieces. If it were stolen, I would totally buy another one. In fact, I would buy one right now.

Over the year or so that I had it, I played many many shows and it did a lot of traveling in a van and in my car. It withstood cold weather like a champ. I only had one problem with it. It blew a fuse inside the actual amplifier. Thankfully though Peavey's customer support is fantastic and they told me how to fix the problem on the phone for free, which is way better than the 75 dollar an hour at the local repair shop. But for a fairly new amp to blow a fuse on the inside of the amp is kinda weird to me, so that's why I'm giving it a 9.

This amplifier has got to be one of the best all around use amps I have ever owned. It has three channels, all of which are easy to EQ and pretty idiot proof. The high gain channel is awesome for any kind of metal or rock. My only complaint is that the clean channel was a little too bright but with proper adjustment of your guitar tone and a little experimentation with the EQ you can get a beautiful clean tone. The gain channel wasn't used very much by me, but it's good for a raunchy kind of classic rock tone. Features EL34's, which are nice and thick. Ample head room to work with I played a lot of hardcore and heavy metal with this amp, and it never did me wrong. It's simple and straight forward, which is how I like my amps.

Billy_Rae
    I have had this amp for about 8 mos. For me, I use whats on board for the clean and solo channels. For the rhythm channel, which for whatever reason kinda lacked that "something". I keep the gain down and use a T-Rex Moller. It just really tightens chords up without compressing the shit out of it. I also found the lead channel to be a tad boomy as well. It took a little messing around with it to get it to pristine level. But I got there! By and large a great amp! As stated before, you will need a gate...