5150 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 212

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I use an Ibanez S470DXQM with standard pickups, and it compliments the tone of the guitar very well. I play mostly progressive metal and jazz fusion, which the amp suits very well, if a bit thrashy sounding. The cleans on the high gain channel, however, sound a bit sterile, but this is easily fixed using a compression pedal. I've never gotten more than a slight hum with humbuckers and a bit of buzz with single coils, even sitting less that 2 feet away from the amp (Where I normally practice). Like I said, the cleans can be a bit sterile, but the lead channel is amazing. Admittedly, getting a tone for anything but thrash and death metal took some tweaking, but once I did I couldn't play another amp. The clean channel stays clean when using the low gain input all the way up to 10, as long as the rhythm post gain is kept low. Even if the amp is a bit metal oriented, with some work it can handle anything from cool jazz to classic rock to grindcore, all of which I have played Live through the amp.

As I said I play a wide range of styles, and this amp suits them all surprisingly well, given some tweaking. I've been playing close to 3 years, and I can't play my old Roland Cube 30 after playing this. However, if it were stolen, I think I'd try out another amp for variety's sake, since I could get a Carvin Legacy combo around the same price. The problem being, as I said before, is that the gain is a bit too thrashy, and getting a creamy solo tone a la John Petrucci out of it can be a bitch on some guitars.

I'd certainly rely on this, I've had it around 4 or 5 months and it's never once given me problems. I gig without a backup regularly. One gripe I do have though, is that the amp is so heavy (Around 90-100 pounds) that it feels like if you dropped it onto a hard floor, either the amp or the floor would give out.

Peavey 6505 212 combo, I believe it was made in 2006-2007 but I'm not sure. It has two channels, rhythm and lead, rhythm including bright and crunch switches. There are no effects or a headphone jack, being a tube combo, but the built in reverb sounds very good, so good that I don't bother with my Holy Grail Reverb pedal. I'm a gigging guitarist playing medium sized gigs with a lot of noise, and for only 60 watts this amp is shockingly loud, but still suitable in a practice environment. My only complaint would be the presence, it seems like they jacked it up way too high, and anything beyond five starts sounding suspiciously like a Marshall MG. Overall, it's a basic, balls to the wall metal amp suitable for bedroom jammers and gigging guitarists.

KaneIsRaw13
    ZippoTragedy
    6505 212 is a great 80's shred / hard rock amp. Crazy gain structure. Resonance adds bass to low-volume mix Presence add highs. Effects bypass loop that actually works as advertised. Can power regaular cabs with ease (check Ohms rating first) 2 channels: Low-Gain and High Gain - neither are "clean". Two variations in each channel: rythm and lead. Wicked loud / not for the weak. OP was correct: house level .5 on the post (whatever you like on the pre). I find that on the high0gain channel that anything over 5 in pre-pwr gets over-distorted. I find the low-gain channel to be as versatile as the high-gain one - primrily for more "hard rock" tones. The rythm channel within the high-gain is my fav - can dial-in perfect sounds - reminds me of vh all the way. You can also get some nice dirty tones out of it that are non-metal sounding. Many people online have posted to say to swap out the tubes for a higher-grade Chinese set as a means for cleaning up the sizzle in the higher volume playing and high-gain scenarios. Amp can get noisy, so this might be a good idea. Have not tried it myself (yet) though. Favorite aspect of this amp is that the high-gain structure yields some really neat acoustic possibilities - pinch harmonics fly off your fingers; very high level of touch-sensitivity, which is important for me. You can explore all manner of sounds if you just think through what you're trying to accomplish (duh) - for all those reviers that say this is a metal-only amp: bah~! it's more than that....if you know what you're doing.
    Lucd
    duzit89
    minchew wrote: Van Halen with peavey in 1965? lol. no. Van Halen didn't hit it big until the 70's, and at that point he was using a hot-rodded marshall amp. Get your facts straight.
    LMAO... 1965 i had to laugh too..
    Obama FTW
    I always use the Rhythm channel for playing. I use the lead channel for cleans. I think the rhythm channel has amazing sounding distortion
    minchew
    saltsdpepper
    Lets get this straight. the 6505 is a result of van halen leaving peavey. its the EXACT SAME THING as the 5150, but 5150 is a van halen trademark that peavey cant use anymore. 6505 represents the years van halen was with peavey. 1965 to 2005.
    Mind Kill
    KaneIsRaw13 wrote: bite_the_bullet wrote: The 6505 is not more powerful than a 5150. My 5150 block head had way more gain than the 6505s that I played with. A 6505 is a watered down 5150 with better cleans, the 6505+ has a little more gain but still not comparable to the 5150 block amount. I can tell you never played a 6505, The 6505 is the same as the 5150, the cleans are not better on the 6505 and The 6505+ has less gain than the 6505's. Get your facts straight buddy
    Lol, nearly everything you said is wrong.
    sambargun
    I thought EVH took the 5150 name with him when he left Peavey and the model was named 6560..... Guess I was wrong.
    glowskulls
    if i remember right, the 6505 is exactly the same as the 5150, because EVH doesn't use their gear anymore, they weren't allowed to continue using the 5150 names. probbers wrong.
    MaidenRulez666
    I own this amp...and he's not lying about the whole "it being loud" for only 60 watts. My walls shake when i have the post gain not even on ONE! The distortion is orgasmic. Def. THE metal amp when lookin for a Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, In Flames, etc. sound. Highly recommend it
    bite_the_bullet
    !-twisty-!
    Lucd wrote: its called the 6505 because it stands for the first 50 years of peavey ex 1965-2005 its the same as the 5150 but the 6505+ is the same gain but with 3 channels and better clean and a eq for each channel
    unfortunately the maths on that was terrible and its the first 40 years...