5150 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 212

Purchased from: Guy from Craigslist

Right now I'm using a Dean Dime From Hell straight through my 5150 and whatta' combination. Whenever I crank it up my friends get jealous. It sounds killer. When you crank it, the mids really come out so when I have it up to 2-3 I turn the mids down. I play a lot of metal, hard rock, but also blues. It can give you a variety of sounds. A really, really good metal sound (think Far Beyond Driven Dimebag tone). But I also like the bluesy tone I can get out of it. Whereas the clean is not the best. At low volumes, the clean is pretty decent but when its turned up its not very good. Lets be honest though, no one buys a 5150 for cleans. Anyways, the distortion is killer I don't use any OD/distortion pedals through my 5150 although a 6 or 10band eq pedal isn't a bad idea for the 5150. It helps you with variety which sometimes isn't always the best if you want to play something different than metal. The 5150 has awesome distortion, that is its best quality. The cleans are very mediocre. The amp is very, very loud as well and it sounds very good at high volumes.

I play hard rock and metal, alot of Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, All That Remains, and it handles it just fine. I also like to play some SRV, and it does that too! This is a metalhead's amp. I am so happy to have this amp. It's the best amp I've ever played and owned. I've been playing for 5years and this amp has helped me find my tone and my ability. If I lost this amp or if someone stole it(I would kill them) but I would definitely save up to get one again. I love the sound and reliability of this amp. I don't really hate anything about it, well maybe how much it weights (90+lbs) but that makes ya stronger. This may be the best amp for hard rock and metal. Overall, this amp is awesome. Very, very durable. It sounds great for hard rock/metal, also sounds really good when its turned up. The louder it gets, the better it sounds. Cleans and versatility are the 5150's weaknesses but I didn't buy it for versatility and cleans. So this amp fits me perfectly. Great amp.

Hah, I laugh when I see reliability and durability because a 5150 can handle anything, ANYTHING. This amp could get in a fight with Chuck Norris and survive. I can depend on this amp, in fact I do. I know it will always work for me. I know it wont break on me. I honestly think I could throw this amp down a flight of stairs and it would work fine. I've never had any problems, whatsoever, with durability. Peavey knows how to make amp durable.

I believe the 5150 was made in the late 90's or early 2000's but I could be wrong. The 5150 is a tube amp, 120vac, 60hz, and 200watts. At least, that's what it says on the back. The 5150 has two channels, rhythm and lead and a bright and crunch switch on the rhythm channel. It has an effects loop, a jack for a remote switch and a headphone jack. The features on the amp are pretty basic but that's fine with me. that's how I like it. there's two inputs (low gain and high gain), a pre-gain on both channels, 3-band eq (low, mid, and high), reverb, post-gain for both channels, presence and resonance. I'm fine with all that. I use my 5150 for bedroom practice and jamming with my buddies. Trust me, this amp is loud enough. The loudest I've had it turned up was 3.5 one day at practice and my drummer was yelling at me because he couldn't hear his drums. Haha. Definitely loud enough for gigs and whatnot. The features on the amp are pretty basic, but no one really buys a 5150 for features right?