5150 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 212

Purchased from: Off another musician.

At first I though there may of been some problems with it since I got it used, but they cleared up after a few times jamming. This thing would pick up microphonics, but after cleaning and reseating the tubes and contact that problem cleared up. This thing has a ton of gain. I don't think you'd get an amp like this for the cleans, but cleans can be achieved with some major tweaking and adding some effects, an eq through the effect loop would help and definitely a Noise Gate or a Decimator to get rid of back ground noise. For metal this thing rock. Once you go tube you never want to go back to solid state. This is the first amp I could gig with and feel I'm not going to be laughed at :).

For the music I do this thing is awesome and I'd recommend it to any hard rock to hard core metal guitarist. I've been playing for 28 years and this is the best amp I've ever owned. Like I said when you go from solid state amp to this you don't want to go back. I would of like to have gotten to channel selector with this thing, but for what I paid for this amp I believe I can afford one :). If lost, not likely, it's pretty big lol. I would replace it with a comparable amp like a 6505 or 6534, if stolen I'd just go to the near by ER room and ask if there is anyone in there for a slipped disk lol lol, it would be hard to steal that thing quickly without injuring yourself lol.

This thing is built like a tank. It heavy, solid and sturdy. I don't think I would need a backup amp with this at any small to mid sized gig. For a 60 watt 2x12 it is loud and has more than enough power for the gig I'd be doing for a while. I definitely would make sure a had some spare preamp and power tubes and a surge protector in case of an emergency. I feel you should protect your investment always. As I said definitely getting some wheeled casters for this thing, it is very heavy and the last thing any gigging musician wants to do is injure their back.

This a 2x12 60 watt combo amp. It has 5 AX7 preamp tube and 2 6l6 power tubes. It's equipped with 2 Sheffield speakers. Has an effects loop, a external speaker connection, 2 channels which are rhythm and lead. The rhythm has a bright and crunch button to add to the sound. Both channel share the same 3 band eq and also have a presents, resonance and reverb. This amp is heavy, it weighs 84.5 pounds. I'd advise getting some caster to wheel the thing around if gigging. I got super lucky because a band friend of mine got this amp during a trade and since he does country and southern rock and I do more metal and hard rock he offer it my way.

guitarplayer369
    I just got a 7 band eq that I'm runnig through the effects loop. For those who say this those of you that say this amp can't get a decent clean tone(and I guess that's also what you'd consider a good clean tone) I'd high recommend a good eq. It help me reduce a lot of back ground noise and the metal riffs it gave me the ability to really fine tune and shape my sound. I will get a decimator as well, but for this amp an eq through the effects loop is a good start .
    Krauser
    Word, I've got an MXR 10-Band in the loop. I have it pretty conservatively EQ'd because I like the amps tone to shine through, but it still makes a really big difference with the small tweaks to the tone. Other than that it's just a TS9 out front into a ISP Decimator and then into the amp input. Thing screams.
    eachristopher1s
    I just got a 5150 212 today. I traded it for an SG Faded. I feel like I got the better deal lol. I freaking LOVE this thing. I'm still getting to know it...I haven't even tried the clean channel yet. I'm getting some good sounds for playing old school Tool, which is fun to play. I'm looking forward to trying out the clean channel side by side with my Blues Deluxe via my tonebone ABY switch. I've been cheesing all day. So psyched!