5150 Head review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: 5150 Head

Purchased from: Private Seller

I Play this head with an LTD F400FM, so the guitar gives a lot of mids to the sound. I play hardcore/emo music and the lead channel does fit really well for this (a lot of heavy riffing and palm mutes, but also chords aswell), but it has an awfully high attack, so I reccomend having something to tweak away the sounds you don't want to hear. I use a TC Electronic G Major's EQ for the job and it works fine. The clean channel is not good, filled with a lot of hard, cold frequencies if you ask me, but with a little tweaking there, you can actually get really beutiful tone from it! So if I'm to summarize the sound of the 150 Head. It's good, but incomplete.

I've been playing for 5 years and this is my first tube amp, and head aswell. I chose the 5150 because It's very friendly price and it sounds very good in the studio, but as I said before, this amp is incomplete. But with a G Major or something similar, it works fine! If it were stolen, I would probably by another, but have other amps in concideration. As said before, it has 1 generall EQ, so It's very hard to make a good setting that works well for both channels, so a MKII would be great, allthough the price is a little higher.

I have owned it since november 2006 and it hasn't totally died on me yet, but I made a full check on it and there where 2 fuses blown on it, so it only functioned on two power tubes. So now that is fixed, but it is kind of spooky at times. On the clean channel it can sometimes flip out and make sounds like scratching and popping. I don't know if it only is my amp, because it did so before the servicing aswell. Otherwise than that, I guess It's ok.

This Amp was made probably the same year or not very much earlier before it became the 6505 (made sometime about 1 year ago). This amp as most people say, is made for metal and extremely high gain music. It has one general eq for both channels, and a presence & resonance switch. Those two are very good for shaping the whole sound of the amp. I Use this amp when I rehearse and on concerts and yes, it has power, a lot! On the lead channel. But the clean channel crunches up at a certain level, so I have the pre gain on very low settings and it can't play so loud. Overall, I would like to say that the features are very basic, but the sound is great, if you have something to tweak it with (e.g a TC Electronic G major).

Joey Radical
    GodLessHeretic wrote: get a LINE 6 Spider lll 75hd waaaaay better amp blows the 5150 out of the water and into space with its pure solid state bone crunching tone!!!!!if only peavey could be as good as line 6.... all hail the line 6 amps for being better then marshall crate peavey and mesa!!!!!
    you better be kidding, boy
    ryanph2421
    mesa will kick all these amps's asses 6 ways to sunday.im sorry i love peavey but its true
    fist
    MetalheadA7X
    fist wrote: sooo.. can this amp get me the as i lay dying/the fall of troy/bullet for my valentine tone?
    Of course it can! I am selling my DSL100 for a 5150 in the near future. That will get my the Black Dahlia Murder/ Job for A Cowboy tone i have been after
    bite_the_bullet
    just changed the power tubes to JJ's, SO CRUNCHY! and btw... BDM uses Kranks, JFAC uses VHT and Mesa...
    ZosoLP1822
    iv been looking all over the internet and other guitar shops for this amp head but cant find it. does anyone know some one selling it, or a retailer? i want to get the origonal 5150 head, not the eddie van halen one.
    GodLessHeretic