5150 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 Head

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Central Music

For Melodic Hardcore, this thing is a beast, yet you're definitely able to play anything through this thing like Rock, Blues, Metal, as long as you're okay with having your clean channel slightly distorted. I play with an Ibanez RG321 and through a Marshall AVT cab. Sure my cab isn't the best, but the head makes up for it. This amp is very noisy due to the extremely high gain. I haven't played any gigs with it yet, I've only jammed with it, but I let my friend use it for a show, (he plays heavy hardcore) and I'm pretty sure that someone's face broke in the mosh pit due to the brutal distortion with a heavy tone.

This 5150 is perfect for what I'm going for. I've only played guitar for about 4 years but I still know what sounds good and what doesn't. Besides for it being noisy, having no effects loop, and being incapable of having a nice smooth clean sound, it's perfect. This amp is cheap and sounds amazing and it's very durable/reliable. If someone stole this amp, I wouldn't know what to do because they're so hard to find them for sale. Another good thing about this amp is that if I were to end up hating this amp, due to the supply/demand of these, I'd probably be able to sell it for the price I got it for but I know that won't happen.

I don't have to worry at all about this. Sure I've had it for just a bit more than a week, but I'm very confident that this can take a lot of damage and still sound awesome.

The 5150 that I bought has to be one of the first 5150's ever made. It doesn't say Peavey anywhere on the front and the name of the amp, 5150, is bolted onto the front. I mainly play melodic hardcore but sometimes I play rock and this amp is Killer for both. There is only 2 channels, rhythm and lead, and two different inputs high gain and normal. The gain and the tone from this amp is amazing, the only two things I would like improved on this but doesn't even bother me much is, an effect loop, and a better clean channel. The clean channel still sounds like it has a slight amount of distortion on it, but I wouldn't use the clean channel much anyways. It's pretty obvious that Who ever buys this amp probably isn't looking for a good clean channel.

NightBladeXx
    I'm getting a first series 5150 head this weekend. Upon reading these reviews, I am, needless to say, very confident that I did not make a mistake in choosing this amp hahaha
    sdf5150
    I bought mine roughly 8 years ago and I'll be damned if I ever get rid of it! Sometimes at shows, during sound checks I would have the post gain pushing 5 and the sound guy would ask me to turn it down! Never changed the tubes either, why bother if it still sounds badass?
    ESP_HORIZON
    sweet guitar head, excellent gain and mids can easily power through to cut through the drums, i use this gear on stage with a closed back custom mesa boogie cabinet or sometime the orange ppc412 cab (just for looks)