5150 II review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 II

Purchased from: Music Shack

I use this amp with a 1983 BC Rich warlock with EMG pickups for the tech metal band. It is so fucking brutal. For the bluesy rock and indie rock band, I use a tele with dimarzio t-zone pickups. It could be a bit more clean...but oh well, I don't really care. This amp is bloody brutal. I will tell you right now, it's made for metal. Don't buy it if you aren't going to play metal.

Perfect head for metal, and pretty good for the rock and indie I play. I've been playing for 3 years, and I own a Marshall JCM900, a Fender hot rod deville, and a few guitars. This is definitely my favourite amp. I would definitely buy another one if this were stolen or lost. I love everything about it, except for the clean, could be better.

I keep this head in a flight case...so I've never had trouble with it breaking. This head has not broken. Probably because i'm so cool.

I play in a tech metal band, a bluesy rock band, and an indie rock band. This amp delivers plenty of gain for my tech metal stuff, has a good crunch for my bluesy rock band, and for my indie rock band. It has a clean (rhythm) channel, which i will admit isn't very clean. it starts to get a tad bit gritty when you crank it, but that's ok with me. The clean channel has a crunch switch on it, which gives it just a crunch, not a distortion (self explanitory I'd say). The real sweetspot of this amp is the distortion (lead) channel. It has more gain than anyone will ever need. I am in love with it. This amp doesn't have reverb, but I don't care because I have a pedal for that. It's 120 all tube watts, and it has more than enough power for me.