5150 II review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 II

Price paid: C$ 1100

Purchased from: eBay

The first time I turned this amp on, I swear to god a baby died. This thing is so brutal! I play through it with a Schecter C-1+ with EMG 85/81 combo, and a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. I usually don't use any pedals recording, but Live I use a Maxon OD808 and a Boss NS-2. I use the NS-2 Live because at high volumes, it tends to get trebly and middy, and hiss a bit. The NS-2 calms that all down and cuts feedback substantially. Anyways, on to the tone. You can get anything out of it, depending on your EQ. I don't play anything but metal, and I do that professionally. I'm sure though, if you wanted a crunchier sorta Ted Nugent sound, you could do so with the rhythm channel and the crunch Switch on. The lead channel is what you turn on to slay whole families and feel like you just curb-stomped a baby. It's so powerful, I use the gain on 6 and that's more than enough for my band, which is metal. If you crank your gain any higher than that on this beast, you need to learn to play and control your tone with your hand, not your amp.

I love this amp. If it was stolen, I would find the person Who did it and kill them and their family. I would curb-stomp their babies and write a song about it. I play in a death metal band, and this thing suits it perfectly. I love everything about it, the only complaint I have is the insane amount of highs and mids it has when you crank the post-gain (volume) up. This is all fixable via an EQ or if you have mad amp-tweaking skills (like me). I'm glad it is so spartan and bare. If it had built-in effects and all that stuff, it wouldn't be the same. The fact that it is so simple and bare leaves a lot of room for your own personal mods and your own effects, rather than having built-in effects that you really don't like. If you like heavy music and want a relatively cheap amp that you'll never find a replacement for, get this amp. It's so close to perfection, it's almost unbelievable the first time you plug it in.

This is a tank. I have used it while gigging as a backup, as I only have it for an amp. It's dropped off of my stack, back when I only had a single 4x12 so luckily it only dropped a few feet, but I picked it up and kept playing with it, although I had to turn it off and back on again. I have had tubes break in it, but thats expected with a tube amp. If you buy a tube amp expecting to never repair or replace anything, for gods sake, get a solid state amp.

It's an older model, I bought it used. Has the footswitch, two channels. The cleanish/rhythm channel has a crunch Switch and a bright Switch to change your tone a bit, depending on what you want. Also has an effects loop. I use this amp for recording, I also use it live. I play the head model with two 4x12 Marshall cabinets.

ibanez_guru
    TheFonz3301 : 5150's are only for true Rockers, not for little 14 yr old Slipknot kids with BC Rich guitars.
    hahahahaha I lol'ed
    Colter
    Got this amp with a vht fatbottom 412 straight cab.....brb gotta go jam
    thechum
    i was thinking about getting one of these. Should I get this or the Krankenstein