5150 II review by Peavey

Peavey: 5150 II

Purchased from: Ebay

I use and LTD EC-100 with emgs and an SVK Les Paul Custom loaded with old school Gibson pickups, and this amp sounds great with both. The emgs really bring out the low end boom and thump of the amp, great for chugging rhythms and endless sustain, while the Gibson pickups add a more equal sound, bringing up the mids and treble and really making this amp grind. I play extreme metal and some punk, and this amp does it all. Noise becomes present when you turn the gain knob up, but you probably won't notice for long after you hit a note or two. The distortion and equalization on this amp are positively, brutally effective for what they were built for. The gain knob one the lead channel is quite possibly the greatest gift ever given to metal players of all styles, it starts getting real heavy around four on the lead channel, and by 6 its just insane, but the gain past this is still usable, adding a slight treble edge, and well as chunk, but it also comes with a considerable amount of noise, noticeable at this level. The clean channel is useful, but slightly limited. Certain distortion pedals that are often a staple in a live metal rig sound harsh over it, such as the Boss Metal Zone, but other pedals like the old HM-2 sound great when the amp is properly eq'ed. The bright switch is surprisingly useful when putting stompboxes over the clean channel for extra bite, not that you would ever need to. The rhythm channel goes everywhere from crunch to searing hi gain tone, and the lead channel is as mentioned before godlike. Equalization is responsive, you can get old hat boosted mid sounds as well as the most brutal of scooped tones.

I play extreme metal mostly, real fast stuff, and this amp handles it, since its pretty much one of the standards. I've been laying music for ten years, and electric instruments for six, guitar for three. I owned a Marshall JCM combo that I wasn't satisfied with, which is why I got this. If I could have asked a question before I bought this the only thing I could think of is how can I get a better clean sound for my stomboxes, but that's such a minimal thing anyway. I compared this to a new 6505 and I liked the tone better, sinces its more old school and 80s, early 90s. I positively love the gain I have on tap, as well as the eq, and if I'm not getting what I need I can just use a graphic eq. If it were stolen I would hunt the fool down to the ends of the earth and crush his legs with the thing, then plug into my Marshall cab and make him go deaf by turning this monster all the way up and blast him with some power chords.

This amp is built like a tank, it weighs 65 pounds! It was shipped across the US to me and when I took it out of the box and plugged it right in it played fine. This thing is also loud as HELL, so gigging will never be a problem. If it were stolen I would hunt the fool down to the ends of the earth and crush his legs with the thing, then plug into my Marshall cab and make him go deaf by turning this monster all the way up and blast him with some power chords.

This amp was made at least ten years ago, since that's about the time Eddie ending his endorsement deal with Peavey to start his own equipment line. This amp has everything a player needs to play hard rock, metal, or punk of any kind. Three channel, clean, rhythm, and lead. With Separate five-band eq for clean/rhythm and lead, this amp will let you dial in everything you need for your live gigs, as well as let you experiment when your in the rehearsal space. 4/8/16 ohm selection, a preamp out and a ground switch along with the essential send and return make the back of this amp a great choice for meat and potato effects loop as well as more complicated rig setups. The front of the amp has the aformention 3 channels, with a bright and crunch switch for the lower gains channels, and the usual five-band Peavey eq for the lead as well as the other two. The amp doesn't come with any reverb or tremolo, but most people interested in buying this don't need these, and if you want to add some headroom to your leads just buy a nice reverb/delay pedal.

Holywars29
    Gunback wrote: I've been playing for 4 years and Im 14, I know my way around a guitar I have a Custom flametop epiphone les paul. Its one of the epiphones that beat some Gibsons. And oh yeah its a tobacco burst. But anyway I have a Crate fxt120 as my amp. But i NEED a half stack. And I was looking at this one. I was mainly wondering if this amp gave alot of feedback and if I should get a cab with celestion vintage 30's or Zakk's Black Label speakers. Thanks
    You could of just asked: does this amp have a lot of feedback and would it sound good with Zakk Wylde celestions. Rather than showing off to people who really don't care.
    Colter
    there is nothing wrong with being 14 and wanting a 5150 head, when i was 14 i wanted one, but BC rich, i agree are way over rated, im an sg and les paul man all the way although i dont currently own a les paul ummm BC rich more overated then gibson?
    K!!LsWiTcH
    thechum wrote: i was thinking about getting one of these. Should I get this or the Krankenstein
    ive HEARD that krankensteins are incredibly dry sounding. i have a 6505 and im compoletely satisfied with it
    themelodicdeathshow
    These are beast, I just came back from gc was jamming on one for a little while. Still prefer my 2 ch dual rec though
    themelodicdeathshow
    Imo the 6505+ or 5150 II is all around better than a krankenstein. If you want a krank look into a krank rev.
    SeanZeppelin
    I am regrettably having to sell this amp! I wish I could hold on to this one forever.. it's the 5150 II Head. some minor blemishes.. brand new tubes! if you're interested, hit me up! seanellingson@yahoo.com in subject please use all CAPS with the word 5150.. i get too much junk mail and don't want to miss your message! Thanks, Sean
    ToxicTrace100
    ^ Ya know bro, if ou come back into some money, I'd buy the stock 5150 or 6505. While they dont have as much eq control over the channels, they're actually a bit more versatile. I own one of these 5150 iis, and I still want to pick up a 6505.