6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

Purchased from: GC

This amp has more than enough gain for any style and sounds very similar to the USA 505+ in tone. Like all the high gain tube amps I've played it can be quite noisy on the lead channel if the gain is past 4 or so. The cleans are so-so at best, depends on the pups you are using. I got a somewhat usable clean using my single coil tele, rolled back on the tone and volume a bit. With my neck EMG 81 it sounds very thin and brittle (as that pup does with almost any amp) The lead channel is one of the best, most brutal I have ever played. Tight and crisp, harmonics and undertones that rate up there with the most expensive amps made. There is a 2 button footswitch for changing channels and crunch.

If you play metal or hard rock and want an affordable hi-gain tube amp, this would be hard to beat. Works great with humbucker guitars, not too bad with singles too. This amp also shines with drop tunings. The Sheffield speaker is ok but not great. I would recommend replacing it with a V30 or similar or running it through a cab. The amp is HUGE for a 112 and very heavy (about 65lbs) This makes the top handle kind of useless and I actually wouldn't trust it to carry with. I actually made mine into a head (very east mod) and it cuts it to about 33 lbs. In conclusion I have found it to be a great amp for brutal gain and hard rock, the crunch is nice too. Not very good at cleans, but most will not buy this amp for cleans. Definately great value for the price.

Peavey has a great reputation for reliability but this amp being made in China has yet to be tested long term. I can tell you that it seems quite well built and I have had no problems. Another UGer had one broken in shipping (cab, like it was dropped hard) and it still worked fine, so it looks good so far. The channel and crunch buttons have to be pushed very far in (almost past the faceplate) before they stay, this was probably a slight design flaw they made but they still work so I guess they decided it was too much money to fix them on this first batch anyways.

Review of the 6505+ 112 made in China combo (not on the model list) 60w 2 channel all tube combo amp with effects loop, accutronics spring reverb. Five 12AX7 preamp tubes and two 6L6GC power amp tubes, with presence and resonance controls and three-band EQ on each channel. I have not tried the simulated line out into a PA yet.