6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a DiMarzio DP207 D-Sonic and a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59. It reacts very strongly to a change of pickups - the D-Sonic adds another level of Saturation onto the amp due to its high output. It is rather noisy, but all 6505's are. It's a flaw in the design that is only there because it has so much gain. The more gain an amp has, the more noise it will pick up. The clean channel has very little headroom, but that's not a huge problem. It is bright and clear when clean, and raw when breaking up. The crunch channel takes the breaking up clean channel further, getting into hard rock territory. The distortion on a 6505/6505+ is the definition of "brutal". The stock Sheffield speaker leaves a little to be desired though, it's a bit "meh" sounding.

This is my fourth amp - previously, I've owned a Fender Frontman 15G, a Marshall VS30r, and a Peavey Vypyr 75. I have been playing for about 4 years and 3 months. I don't know why anyone would bother stealing it, it weighs 60-65 pounds and it's extremely awkward to carry. If they did, I'd get it again. I did attempt to compare it to a JCA5212rc, but I couldn't find any to play through. I do know that I prefer it to the JCA20 I tried, but that's a completely differently voiced amp. I spent a few hours at GC trying amps, and this was the only one that really stuck out to me. I play metal, hard rock, and the occasional blues, so I needed an amp that could do all three. To my surprise, the 6505+ 112 could. I only wish it had a clean channel that really stayed clean, but I'm sure this is an easy enough fix using a different tube in V2, maybe a 5751 or a 12AT7. I'm in love with the lead channel though, it's just awesome.

So far, the amp seems reliable. The stock power tubes (Ruby 6L6GC-STR's) died after a few months, but I suspect they were just a bad set of tubes. I'm now running strong with a pair of JJ 6l6GC's. I would use this without a backup, as it seems to be built like a truck. It also weighs as much as one; it's probably the heaviest 1x12" combo amp I've ever seen at about 60-65 pounds.

This amp has all the features of the 6505 series - a ridiculous amount of gain, really tight bass, and a bit of a "roar" to it. It was made in China - the year, probably 2010. It has 2 channels, Rhythm(clean, crunch) and lead (all out distortion mayhem). It's a 60w RMS tube amp, with 5x 12AX7s (4 preamp, 1 PI) and 2 6L6s in class AB. There is an effects loop, but I haven't had any need for it (I don't use any pedals), and built in spring reverb. This amp is used for band practice and shows - and it's way more than loud enough, and considering I play metal, plenty versatile.