6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Metal. Straight metal. Easily one of the most versatile distortions for metal. The amp takes a little while to find the correct EQ to fit ones tone, but once you find it you will be blown away. When balanced correctly, this amp produces a great metal tone that is versatile for any style of metal. I play a range of metal tones, from djent to hardcore to progressive metal and this amp can create a great tone for each of those genres. This amp was a huge step up for me from my Line 6 Spider Valve 1x12 and the Peavey 6505+ was $100 dollars less! I will admit that the Sheffield speaker quality lacks, but ever since I have purchased my B-52 ST-412 cab (loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s) this amp has been amazing. Professional quality, without a doubt. Some complaints though. This amp is somewhat noisy and you'll get that with every 6505+, but my main complaint is with the effects loop. Every time I hook my noise gate through the effects loop, the amp gets tons of added highs which are unable to be fixed by re-EQing the amp. It is not my noise gate because I have tried two different brands and the same thing happens every time. I have not been able to find anyone with this similar problem so I believe that it is a wiring problem. I am still able to use my through the front of the amp to rid of my guitar hiss, but the amp noise is there. Tolerable, but still there.

The Peavey 6505+ is a legendary metal amplifier and should always be a considerable option when it comes to purchasing a quality amplifier. I've been playing for almost 4 years and the gear I play with, I always try to choose the best quality for the best deal. If this were ever stolen, I would most likely buy another because it's practically the exact same thing as the 6505+ head, but $600 cheaper. I love the tone of the amp, but I hate the weight of it. The amp has such a unique tone over other metal amps that you'll always know that someone is playing a 6505, just by hearing it. This was my first non-modeling tube amp and since I don't live near a Guitar Center or anything, I just had to take a shot in the dark with it. I am extremely happy with my decision. The only thing I wish was different was that it had the U.S. made quality, but they can keep the Chinese price tag on it.

This thing is massive and durable. It weighs a ton and the handle is rough on one's hands. After a few months of having this amp I decided to put casters on the bottom of it and it solved most of the traveling issues. I've put more dents in my car than I've put in this amp and the dents were caused by this amp unfortunately. I've had no problem with it cutting out or just randomly powering off. I would most likely use it a gig without a back-up just for the fact that I can't afford another amp right. I trust this amp 100% though and I would be devastated if it ever lets me down. The tubes are solid in place and haven't broken.

- Made in 2010 in China - 2 band eq (clean and distorted) with independent lows, mids, and highs, pre and post gains, presence, and resonance. Crunch Switch on clean channel. Master reverb knob. - 1 1x12 60 watt Sheffield speaker. - 5: 12ax7 pre-amp tubes and 2: 6l6 power tubes - Made mainly for metal. Does anything from hard rock to the most "blackened and "deathest" of all metals with ease. Cleans are decent, but this amp is infamous for its distortion. Crunch channel provides a nice, bluesy tone to a good, slightly distorted tone when the pre gain is pushed. - 2 channels (clean and distorted). The clean has a Crunch button which adds a little more dirt to your clean tone. - Effects loop and 2 external speaker jacks with a 4, 8, and 16 ohm Switch for varieties of speakers (16 ohms is the standard setting for the Sheffield speaker). - I use this amp mainly for band practice and the 60 watts competes perfectly with my band mates' halfstacks. - I give the features an 8 because I would like to have individual reverb knobs (if that's possible). I'm not one for pedals so that is kind of a big deal to me.

espplayer400
    dynastywest69 wrote: the review is wrong, thats for the 6505. The 6505+ has 3 channels
    Youre wrong.
    TuningGamer
    ChucklesMginty wrote: I can't believe this is first review when it's recommended in every amp thread in GG&A.
    Damn, you're right. Still saving to buy one of these for gigs (:
    guy_tebache
    Didnt know they made small combos of the 6505 (but then Peavey are not my style at all). I like the idea of the EQ being switchable pre/post pre amp. A friend of mine who is in a hardcore band plays the 100W head and swears by it. The impression I get is that it lacks versatility, but it sounds like its a metal workhorse you can count on. If I was ever in the market for a metal amp (unlikely), this would be my first stop. Great review!
    Jsteele1408
    neoamir wrote: played that one, and it can hardly get that tight metal tone. even with a decent metal axe.
    Tubescreamer + Noise Gate. You're all set.
    themelodicdeathshow
    trenticle wrote: The 6505+ head is made in Mississippi. What sucks is that for $600.00 I'm paying made in USA price and cheap Chinese quality. RIP OFF!!!
    $600 dollars really isnt made in USA price but ok lol.
    Spazztastic88
    I used a 6505+ 112 Combo as a home amp for over a year and it's great. It sounds fine below 3, but it really opens up when you crank it to 5+.
    sewoo55
    NEScore wrote: i bought my 6505+ head used for 600, then sold it for 900. and now i just own a axefx. and this amp is a trash can compared to my axefx.
    the axe-fx is $2000..... the 6505 combo is $600..... of course there's a big difference
    snakeman1986
    hate these things. a guy i played with a while back had one of these things playing through a mesa 412. it was a fizzy mess. the low end compared to my mesa rec was terrible. hate it. glad i went with the mesa those 6 years ago. i had forgotten how bad the peavey sounds in comparison. just my opinion tho.
    ItWillDo
    Well it does have 3 channels depending how you look at it. I own one and I can tell you that if you look at the main switch it switches between Lead/Rhythm. But when you're in the rhythm-channel you can turn Crunch on/off. So basically it has got 2 main channels and one of them has 2 sub-channels.
    a_hub10
    I played one of these today at guitar center, sounded absolutely TERRIBLE. I've owned a 5150 in the past and this amp sounded nothing like it. Horrible amp, could've just been the one, but it was terribly dry.
    themelodicdeathshow
    The head version sounds completely different than the 1x12 and 2x12. I would never buy the 1x12 its by far the worst of the 5150/6505 line! I much prefer the sound of the 2x12 and the head units ran with a quality cab. As the does it sound good at low volumes questions, most tube amps will sound better than a ss or a moddeling amp even at low volumes.
    ThatFlyingThing
    I wouldn't hold my breath on it sounding too great; most tube amps get ridiculously muddy at lower volumes and are designed to move air in the first place. If you're only going to be playing at home and intend to keep it well into the lower 1/5th of the volume spectrum for the most part, I'd recommend either getting: 1. a modeling amp or 2. an amp with a valve channel and a digital if you're going to gig too
    thatmikedude
    I LOVE THIS AMP! i played it over at guitarcenter and this thing is a beast! the lead channel gives you that perfect in-your-face metal tone and the clean channel isnt half bad. but hey who buys this amp for cleans anyway? haha
    Selin
    I can't decide between one of these or a Blackstar HT Club 40. I think I'll just get both.
    guitarguyryan94
    kaboom. wrote: hey guitarguyryan94 is gay and his reviews are so awful I just want to puke my guts up every time I read them and then eat it again and think "Dang, that was way more fun than reading a guitarguyryan94 review" not to mention guitarguyryan94 is an awful, dumb username, sooooo uncreative it makes me so angry
    Oh my gosh, Karl lol
    Flash Nightmare
    Putting an EQ in the loop of this amp is absolutely crucial/essential to getting a GREAT metal tone out of it. It makes a HUGE difference. In fact, it should just come with an Boss GE7 in the box. Try it before you blow off this amp, seriously.
    StevieRayHalen
    Vypor wrote: By no means is this a bad sounding amp, in any way shape form or fashion. However, one of my friends has this amp, and another of my friends has the Line 6 Valve and they play together all the time. When it comes down to it, the Valve just has a much my dynamic tonal range then this 6505. Not that its bad sounding, it just doesnt compare. I know alot of you "analog elitists" are going to get your panties in a bunch over my comment, but its just honesty coming from me.
    Don't sweat it Vypor - your post made absolutely no sense, so no one here will be offended. public skooLs for the win!
    OceansBetweenUs
    Damn I want one of these in a head. A non-120 watt, $1200 head. Someone make me one thats 60 watts, $300. Gogogogogo.
    JohnNugent
    I bought this amp a while back. I use a ts-9 and n NS-2 with it and I have no complaints. I dont really use the clean channel. I havent gigged with it yet but I jam with it all the time and it sounds great. My friend uses a 5150 combo, Sonic Stomp and a decimator and together they sound immaculate. Has anybody tried the msdi feature?!? I havent had a chance and I was wondering how it sounded.
    Alpha_Wolf
    Lmfao.
    dynastywest69
    ha! whoops I misread the combo bit Its the head version that is the 3 channel one, sorry folks
    trenticle
    kaboom.
    Vypor
    craig95ste
    HELP!!! ADVICE NEEDED!!! I can't decide between this and the Blackstar HT Venue Club 40. I'm mostly into metal; BFMV, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, Ax7, Asking Alexandria, Disturbed etc. But I also enjoy playing Rock, Blues and other less heavy genres, comments and advice please!!!
    NEScore
    o.O
    NWH
    if u mess with the settings it sounds just fine at low volumes, its perfect for band practice and gigging, it has a pretty tight sound with my emgs, and i didnt expect a fender clean but the clean isnt as bad as people say. overall if u dont mind spending time messin around with eq its an amazing amp espescially for $600
    kyleriemer
    I bought one of these a while ago, just about a week after its release in Canada, and i have could never get a good metal tone by itself. Paired up with the BOSS Metal Core however, it sounds fantastic. A great buy if you already have good pedals, but if you have no pedals and are looking for compete affordibility, i would just go with the Vyper (tube series is a must) because its got a ton of effects and great tones within it already.
    The^Unforgiven
    I highly doubt that, seeing as the only 1x12" combo in the 6505 line is the 6505+ 112.
    CapnKickass
    The guitarist I jam with at his apartment has one of these. It pretty much sounds like how you'd expect a tube amp to sound when it's at a low volume, not as good but decent enough to practice with. Good distortion, maybe not so good clean sound.
    darkwolf291
    thornjungle
    darkwolf291 wrote: RiffYourFaceOff wrote: sewoo55 wrote: how does this thing sound at low volumes? i'm gonna buy this amp but i'll be using it at home, so even with the volume knob at 0.5 or 1 does it still sound good? I'd like to know too. Been wanting one of these for a while but it seems like a lot of amp for the living room. They sound alright at Low volume. You have to re-eq it to sound good, but that's easy enough.
    I've played this amp extensively at my local Music store, they sound amazing at 3 and above, but your ears are going to bleed. It's OK at low volumes (3 and below) but like all tube amps is made to be played between 3-7.
    pto654
    I personally hated this amp at low volumes. I was looking for a tube amp that could do bedroom levels and I found with the volume low the cleans were horrendous and the distortion seemed lacking. At a higher volume though, this thing can sing.
    Charlie4
    The versatility of this amp is clearly stated in this review - Metal, no chimey overdrive, no sparkling cleans. If you want a one trick pony that does a great job than this is it. Other guys that commented here, if you want a home-friendly sounding amp get a low wattage valve amp (probably no more than 15W) such as Egnater, Mesa, Vox, Orange etc. (still damn loud if you crank a 15W with a 2x12). These are Small amps with all the boutique sounding qualities.
    RiffYourFaceOff
    stondagain
    sg4ever
    Played one with an EMG equipped guitar and it was certainly pretty tight as long as you went easy on the gain and you eq'd it well. I got a perfectly acceptable tone that would have sounded great double or quad tracked on a recording.
    themelodicdeathshow
    stondagain wrote: I just got back from trying one at GC. Sounds pretty damn good! I'm looking for a combo w/some balls & this fits the bill. Not a fan of pedal distortion, I want my base tone to come from the preamp. I have a 1987 Mesa Boogie MkIII half stack, but I'm gettin really sick of hauling that thing to gigs, especially some of the smaller places we play. This thing w/my pedalboard should be an awesome practice/small club rig (once I put a Celestion 30 in it...not impressed w/the stock speaker).
    You might as well get a 2x12 5150/6505 the 1x12 is ungodly heavey and bulky. The 2x12 will sound better and be about as portable as the 1x12 imo.
    MayoFTW
    I own this amp and it's very reliable and I can get a pretty good tone with it. I admit the cleans are pretty bad standalone, but after I ran it through my Boss CE-5 and Tubescreamer they sounded ok.
    neoamir