6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I'm currently using a Ibanez GRX20 that has power sound pickups in it and even with those weak pickups it sound's great. This is the perfect amp for metal! You can get the most brutal distortion you can think of outta this baby. But with insane amounts of gain comes feedback. It's not too bad, but you have to make sure you do a good job muting your guitar strings. The clean also distorts at high volumes so that's not extremely impressive but you don't buy this amp for the cleans anyway.

I play thrash metal, melo-death, and all styles of metal in between (except black metal) and this amp does the job. The distortion from this amp is natural and can beat just about any distortion pedal, there's so much gain it's unbelievable. The only bad thing about this amp really is the cleans. Other than that I love it. If it was lost I would either buy this same combo amp again or go for the 6505 Head either one would be great.

This amp is very reliable, I would always have a back up at a gig but it probably won't be necessary with the 6505. It's never broken down on me.

This amp is not extremely versatile. It was built for one thing: METAL, which is good because that's what I play. It has a lead channel and a rhythm channel and the rhythm channel has a crunch option to add some crunch to your cleans. You can buy a footswitch to go from the lead to the rhythm and from clean rhythm to crunch rhythm. It has an a effects loop but no headphone jack. 60 watts of all-tube power is more than enough power for me in my bedroom and at small gigs.

Pingis_Or_Death
    MaggaraMarine
    kyleriemer wrote: I bought one of these a while ago, just about a week after its release in Canada, and i have could never get a good metal tone by itself. Paired up with the BOSS Metal Core however, it sounds fantastic. A great buy if you already have good pedals, but if you have no pedals and are looking for compete affordibility, i would just go with the Vyper (tube series is a must) because its got a ton of effects and great tones within it already.
    Why do people want 100000 sounds in one amp. I mean that digital amps have many sounds but one amp model is not as versatile as a real amp. You'll get all the sounds you need in a real non-digital amp so you don't need some 100 amp models. I have a Micro Cube and I only use two sounds of it (Classic Stack and JC-Clean with chorus) and I would like to have a non-digital amp. Micro Cube does its job as a practice amp but I would like to have a new amp. And who needs so much effects? I think all the effects you need are chorus, flanger or phaser and maybe a compressor for cleans, delay for leads and maybe a boost or overdrive if the amp doesn't have a boost. That's why multi FX pedals are not so good: They have more effects than you'll ever need and the effects are much cheaper and more bad quality than real stompboxes. So you buy a multi FX for $ 200 that gives you three effects that you really use which are cheaper than real stompboxes and you could buy those stompboxes for maybe a hundred bucks more. Sorry for so long comment but I just wanted to say these things.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Who buys a 6505+ and uses a metalcore with it you must be joking lmao I know the 1x12 sounds like shit compared to the head version and 2x12 5150/6505 but using a metalcore would make it sound even worse! Anyone looking at these look for used 5150/6505s you can find them for the same price as the 1x12 and cheaper!! And they have better build structure and components are way better, and most important they sound way better than the 1x12!
    nitestick
    "It is not my noise gate because I have tried two different brands and the same thing happens every time." Horrible logic there on that review, all that means is that the issue occurred with two different gates, that doesn't rule out either of them as the cause. If it doesn't happen when the gate is removed then you can rule it out.
    krehzeekid
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Why is this amp rated so low? It's still a 6505+ and the price of it is cheaper than the head (like half of the price), fgs! And it still has a speaker, so you can always turn it into a head + combo if you want to. Or am I missing something here? It's obvious it won't sound like you're running it through a half stack when you're playing with the 1x12 speaker, but honestly, you can't detract points because of that! Just hook it up to an external cab.
    its that it just doesn't sound that great. thats kind of a problem with all 6505's; they're good, but not great. also, its a rather limited amplifier, it really only does one thing particularly well and leaves everything else a little weak, even for the money
    dustjunk
    I have one of these and I only have one complaint. The clean channel's not clean enough. They might as well just get rid of the crunch switch and call the clean channel crunch.