6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Omaha

I mainly use a Les Paul standard and play exclusively Thrash metal. As far as being a rock solid metal amp, there is none better. And I mean any genre of metal. There are several things this amp has going for it. One being that even when you turn the amp Way up, it stayed pretty quiet. It distortion on tap. Get all 5 of those 12AX7 Hot and this thing is a metal machine. The EQ's on both channels are very responsive as are the presence & resonance knobs. For those who don't know what the presence & resonance do, the presence knob adjust the level if overall treble and the resonance did the same with the bass. The rhythm channel was my favorite of the two. Especially with the crunch turned on and gain turned up t around 7. It was perfect for the thrash that I play. The lead channel was just insane and totally rocked the occasional death & new metal I play. And as with most high gain tube amps, if you roll past about 7-8 on the gain, it would start to get fuzzy. That being said, the one downfall I have found with this amp was I didn't feel the speaker was worth a damn on this amp. It handled the bass and the mid's or lack there of at times very well, but no matter what I did to the amp, I could not get rid of this trembly hollow sound until I replaced the speaker with an Eminence 16ohm Swamp Thang. Problem solved. I am not a fan of Peavy's speakers at all. And that is why I gave the sound a lower rating.

If you are looking for a solid metal machine, you cannot go wrong with a Peavey 6505 112 if your willing to change the speaker out. I have been playing for 3 years and mostly play thrash metal. I wish I would have tried out more amp's before dropping the hammer on this one. If it were stolen, I would go find the guy and beat the shit out of him and go get something else.

This amp, while being made in china is built like a tank. For a 112 combo amp, it weighs 60lbs. This amp took a bit of an ass kickin and never even flinched. She is a tank and I would have no problem taking it as my main amp with no back-up.

2 Channels Rhythm & Lead with a crunch button on the rhythm channel. The amp is certainly a Peavey. It has a separate EQ for both channels that are very functional as well as a presence & resonance control for both channels. I play thrash metal and this amplifier easily accomplishes such a task. I mainly used this amp for practice and occasionally it hit the small stage. I have to say that this was a total gain monster. even at 60 watts of 6L6 power, it could tear it up.

henrihell
    - 2 band eq (clean and distorted) with independent lows, mids, and highs, pre and post gains, presence, and resonance. Crunch Switch on clean channel. Master reverb knob.
    I think you mean two channels, with independent EQ and Gain... At least it's not a 2-band if it has high, mid & low because that's 3 bands.
    beau05
    henrihell wrote: youll always know that someone is playing a 6505, just by hearing it. Obviously they'd play metalcore, almost every metalcore band uses 6505s
    Haha I hate how certain amps and guitars are associated with certain types of music. I play a 6505 212 because the shop said it's basically a 5150 (which was way out of my budget, loan wise), tone wise, with the right tonal/eq setup it can sound smooth as. And no, I'm not in a metalcore band
    grungelive72
    Would this sound at least similar to the head with a celestion V30 in it? Or are the chinese parts just that bad?