6505+ 112 Combo review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505+ 112 Combo

I'm using this amp with several guitars pretty regularly. I like to switch between guitars: Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, PRS SE 245, Fender American HSS Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, and an Ibanez RG470. I've tried it out with all of them already and they all do well with it. I'm not going to say that this is strictly a "metal" amp, but I will say its probably best suited for that. You can definitely get some rock tones out of it though by tweaking the gain knob. However the amp does hiss quite a bit when you get the gain past 6. I never use clean channels on amps as I never liked switching between the 2, I just roll the volume down to clean up. A big complaint on this amp is the clean tone. It sounds fine to me. Although you may not be able to use this amp for jazz or something like that, I think the clean sound is fine for anything rock related. The distortion is where this amp really shines though. This is where playing metal really showcases this amp. The distortion is the best I've ever heard in an amp before. Just for a comparison on my mesa I used to have to crank the distortion to about 8 AND use a Maxon overdrive pedal to get a good metal sound out of it. On this amp I turn the gain to 6 and I don't even need the overdrive pedal. It's that much of a difference. The reverb sounds great too! I'm rating this strictly on the lead channel, as it wouldn't be fair to rate the clean channel since I don't use it.

I play a lot of different stuff. Mostly hard rock and metal though. I do play plenty of other genres and bands like Journey, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, etc. I would definitely have to tweak it before playing any of those, but I think it can be done. I've been playing for about 9 years and have played a lot of different stuff in that time. This is my favorite amp I've ever owned/played. I highly recommend this amp to any metal / hard rock player. I wish it would have came with the footswitch, even though I wouldn't have used it. It just would have been nice. I would definitely buy this amp again and if I was out playing shows like I used to, I would have considered the 212 version, or even the head. But for what I'm doing now, this amp is perfect! Check one out!

I've owned 2 other Peavey amps and NEVER had a problem with them. I can't say that for the other brands I've owned. All the others have broken down or stopped working correctly in some way. But there's always that chance it could. No amp is free from breaking down.

Well this is a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo. Its got 2 channels. Rhythm and Lead. The Rhythm (clean) channel has a crunch button that adds a boost with a little grit to it. Each channel has independent presence and resonance, which is my favorite feature of the amp. That way you get really tweak each sound on its own. I got this amp because I wanted something smaller than my Mesa half stack I had. I stopped playing shows a few years ago and having a half stack was totally not needed, so I wanted to get something more manageable. 60 watts of tube is PLENTY for anything I'll never need it for. Plus the Peavey logo lights up on the front when you turn it on!