6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Purchased from: House of Guitars

I was using a Hamer Standard Flametop, with EVO II's. I play metal and it is all I could have asked for as far as tone. You wont need to crank the gain because it's just going to create a lot of extra noise and feedback. There isnt a huge difference in the gain once you get it up there. A noise supressor is probably a good idea, especially if your going to keep the gain pegged. The cleans really aren't nearly as bad as everyone has always said. Plus on the clean channel there is a wide range of OD to put on it. If you want cleans this will handle it just fine (way better than Rectos). When you turn this thing up it only gets better and better. Keeping this at low volumes is like driving a Corvette at 30mph all day.

As I said I play metal and this thing was made for it. Been playing for about 5 years. At the time I had been also looking at Mesa Triple Recto, Mark IV, and Marshall DSL100, and JCM800. If money wasn't an issue I would still buy this. it's just good. If you can find one to try out go for it, I would be willing to bet you find something you love about it. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because it does have small things that could be improved on, but what amp doesnt't? So in my opinion the best an amp is ever going to deserve is a 9.

Considering I bought mine brand new I would gig without a backup. Obviously if your buying used it depends on the condition. Like any amp you gotta do some routine maintanence, but it's built like a tank. Only thing is that it looks like it's going to be hard to get in there to change the preamp tubes. But if you don't do it yourself then it's not you problem now is it!

This amp has more gain than any person with a real sense of tone will ever need. It simply just sounds good. The only thing I would really want from this amp is a second EQ for the cleans, but chances are if your buying this amp you don't use a whole lot of cleans. The preasence and resonance is a great way to add some depth to your tone also. This amp will have enough power, if for some reason you don't think it is, your doing something wrong.

Crimson_Eve
    Dont even look at Krank! Krank is just an expensive noise machine...No real tone there. Marshall DSL wont have nearly as much gain, cleans are a lot better on the DSL than the 6505, but overall if you want heavy, you gotta go for the 6505 out of those two.
    DaBlackE
    I recently bought a 5150 and it's great, you turn the rhythm channel crunch switch on & turn up the pre-gain, you can get both channels almost to sound the same. As for a clean sound, you really got to turn the pre-gain on the rhythm way down & turn the post-gain up and don't pick too hard. When the preamp tubes go bad this thing will sound like shit, it'll get scratchy sounding and your sound will go up & down. This thing has more gain than you'll ever need, makes ya wonder if Eddie Van Halen ever thought his amp would be embraced by Swedish Death Metal. A noise gate is a must with this amp.
    DaBlackE
    E V H 5150 wrote: Is the only difference between a 6505 and a 5150 the name and Eddie Van Halen endorsement?
    When Eddie Van Halen & Peavey parted ways, Eddie kept the rights to the 5150 name but Peavey kept the rights to the amp's design. So the name has changed but the amp's the same. And the 6505+ is the same as the 5150 II.