6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Purchased from: GC

I have only played through solid-state amps before and I must say, I will never go back. Ever. That being said I use an Epi LP with an overwound bridge pup and this baby screams. On a lighter note, the cleans really aren't that bad at all. Even on the high-gain input (on rhythm, mind you). the bright Switch enhances the highs while the crunch swith adds, crunch. Pretty straightfoward. The lead channel is amazing. Being a tube amp, there is some tweaking involved to get your desired sound. But once you get it, oh boy is it great. The gain on this channel can be set from Van Halen to early Green Day to the heaviest metal. Not cloudy or muddy at all.

I play lots of music and this amp does a pretty good job at obtaing the sound that I need. My favorite feature besides the stupid amounts of gain is probably the effects loop. I can put my POD XT Live through it without it sounding like shit. I wish it came with a footswitch, but I bought it off the floor so w/e. If it got stolen, I'd cry for a very long time b/c I couldn't get another one for a long time. Good, hard-rockin amp dude.

Considering that this weighs as much as a tank (60lbs) it seems pretty durable. I've only had it a week, but I have only heard great things about it's reliability. And the tubes look like they are very good shape and are well protected. Can't really give it a 10 b/c I've only heard.

I have wanted one of these for a long time, and finally got one. It is fairly new, the guy it's probably made in 05 or 04. Stock tubes. As far as features go, it is pretty standard; two channels, rhythm and lead, 3-band EQ for both channels, overall presence and resonance, selectable cab impendance, effects loop, and footswitch jack. Five 12ax7s in the preamp and four 6L6s in the power amp. Normal and High gain inputs. Bright and crunch switches (rhythm).

eraoftragedy
    I agree, the aesthetics are seriously lacking on this head. But check out this simple DIY mod I did. The 3 logos are still recessed back from the grate to give it that caged look, but, I mounted the grate w/o the cheesy plywood behind it, so you can in and watch the fire from the tubes.