6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Purchased from: music go round

I play through an Ibanez S470 with an SD Dimebucker in the bridge. I play Death, Thrash, Grindcore, and Speed metal. I cannot ask for a better amp for those styles. This vey affordable amp blows expensive Diezel's Engl's and Genz Benz's out of the water for sheer tone. I was upgrading from a Marshall AVT150HX and my mission was not just a nice amp, but the amp with the tone I wanted, and this amp had it. As I stated earlier, I run an MXR 10 band eq through the effects loop. The MXR really tightens up the tone, and really darkens it up, which I love. This amp is also really good for classic rock tones (exact same amp as the 5150, EVH only owns the number, not the wiring) so if you are looking for a classic tone, try this out, but also check out other amps! Don't limit yourself. Anyways, this is the go to amp for death metal, at least in my opinion. DIstortion is as much as you need, GOOD clean settings are terrible with out an eq pedal. Once again, this is a death metal amplifier.

Death metal is what I play, the Peavey 6505+ is what I play through, pure undefiled tone is what I have. I am not disappointed at all, and I could not ask for more from an amp. If stolen, I would be going to jail for homicide. When I was amp searching, I wasn't looking for knobs, versatility, effects or anything. I wanted pure death metal tone, and this is the amp. If you want crazy built-in effects, 11 channels, or a Pink amp, look somwhere else.

I really don't forsee this amp breaking down, I've had for about a month, but for some reason if it does, a 2 year warranty is nice. however, Marshall does have a 5 year warranty, but I will be taking good care of it. There really is not much else to comment on here, because I haven't taken it on the road, or had for years. I can see the tolex tearing, but a tiny tolex tear won't make me cry. Retube every year or so though.

The Peavey 6505+ head is a two channel, all tube amplifier (6 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 4 6L6GC power tubes). The 'rhythm' channel is a more classic rock styled channel, and I have been able to coax such tones as The Sword, Boston, and of course, Van Halen. The rythm cahnnel also features a 'bright' Switch which is a 2Db boost for the higher frequencies (5 kHz+ I believe). The 'lead' channel is the darker version of the rythm channel. The lead channel does not have the bright Switch. The lead channel has the capabilities to achieve the holy grail of tone from Whoracle by In Flames (IMO). The amp also has an effect s loop which I run an MXR 10 band eq through for the extra mid scooping, and darkening tone I love. Each channel has seperate resonance (bass boost), presence (treble boost), and preamp & postamp gain, bass, mid, and treble eq's. Overall, the amp is really straightforward unlike a Marshall DSL or TSL that has all sorts of buttons and knobs. No master volume, but I found that the preamp gain works well as the 'distortion' level and postamp gain works as 'volume' however, you can experiment with different levels as you like, but be careful becuase 120W tube power can honestly kill small children and animals. Two speaker outs in the back, really nioce bias adjust Switch for retubing, and a non detachable power cord with a place to wind it built into the head (really good for gigging) round out the back pannel.

Knight_Arsis
    I pluged this up in guitar center today and using the amp distortion i couldnt get any tone for leads and solos and thats the biggest thing that could turn me off to an amp. maybe a pedal would help.