6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

This amp can do light crunch sounds to plenty of gain saturated sounds and if you experiment with the rhythm gain (I use this channel for clean sounds) you can get a nice clean sound out of it. I have my Rhythm gain set on 3 or 4 and it doesn't break up much at high volumes. So if you want some more break up just turn up the gain a bit. The lead gain is great. It's one of those controls that is usefull all around. When I play heavy stuff I have the gain at 4 or 5 and that's plenty for me. You guys setting this thing at 10 must have a horrible sound. I don't think anyone should even need to go past 7 or 8, that's when the mud could come into play. If you want an amp with an incredible amount of crunch and gain this is for you. The amp bites so it's not so useful for really scooped overdrive but I never liked that type of distortion anyways. Most the time I play through a Gibson Les Paul Studio with the stock custom shop pickups and I love the sound. I also play my Dean HardTail with EMG 81 and 85's through it. Obviously if you stand next to the amp it's gonna hiss but as long as you don't have the gain at 10(which you should never need) it's not to much noise. Plugging strait into the amp with no effects when I first got it there wasn't a lot of noise at all but my live set up I have 4 effects and my DigiTech DigiDelay gives the amp all the noise.

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years now and I would certainly buy another head if it were stolen or lost. My buddy has a Marshall DSL50 which I like but I still like my Peavey. I chose this amp because they go cheap on Ebay and I wanted a tube head.

It seems built really good but I have a head cases on its way right now regardless of how it's built because I don't want to take any precautions with the tubes getting broke or cracked. Since it's a tube amp I gig with Randall solid state for backup but so far it has never messed up on me.

Musically I'm into everything but I usually play Metal to Jazz on this head. As far as its features, it's got 2 channels (rhythm, lead) with the pre-gain controls used as the gain and the Post controls used as the volumes for each channel. This head is used for practice and band situations and has plenty of power and the only complaint I have with it is the sharing of the EQ for both channels. Although the settings I have for both channels isn't bad it would just be nice to have another set of EQs for my clean sounds.

party_on_wayne
    Thread_of_Light wrote: What is an appropriate cab for this head?
    ominousinane
    So, I need recommendations on amp heads to test out. So far, it seems that I've got this one and a dual rec to test. I'm trying to get a death metal sound such as Dying Fetus/Skinless/etc.
    Mind Kill
    blairbondy
    the 6505 is not the EXACT same asthe 5150 nor is the 6505+ to the 5150 II, the 6505 series (opposed to the 5150 series) have new transformers in them, better then the 5150 transformers. if u were to take an untouched brandnew 5150 and a brand new untouched 6505 and a/b them with the same settings, yes they would sound the same but the quality of the transformer in the 6505 is even better, just a little info for u guys
    Mind Kill
    blairbondy wrote: if u get the dual rec u need to have emg loaded guitar, good cab, maxon overdrive and u have to crank it to get a decent tone, the 6505 u can get good tone with a marshall mg cab and a squire strat Mind Kill wrote: Would this amp or a Dual Rectifier be better for a tone like the one on Satyricons album Nemesis Divina?
    Yeah, the 6505 seems more reliable.
    blairbondy
    most heads ive played i find a good cab with v30's works best but with the 6505/5150 i like g12t75 speakers (1960a marshall)
    party_on_wayne wrote: Thread_of_Light wrote: What is an appropriate cab for this head? every head ever made (almost) has a cab built specifically voiced for that head. in this case, it's the 6505 cab. however, as is true with most things, upgrading to better cabs means better tone. cabs i would suggest: madison rectifier (mesa) vader revolution (krank) i also agree with frostdevil about hearing each note. amen
    alexelworthy
    DaBlackE wrote: E V H 5150 wrote: Is the only difference between a 6505 and a 5150 the name and Eddie Van Halen endorsement? When Eddie Van Halen & Peavey parted ways, Eddie kept the rights to the 5150 name but Peavey kept the rights to the amp's design. So the name has changed but the amp's the same. And the 6505+ is the same as the 5150 II.
    and they changed the design, but as he said, the actual tone and everything else is exactly the same