6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Purchased from: Paragon Music

I use a variety of guitars and mostly Seymour Duncan pickups, my worst sounding guitar a Jackson RR3 with a SD Dimebucker on the bridge actully sound good with this amp. I play Blues, jazz, grind/death/power/prog metal so this amp is perfect but the clean channel is a little dirty, that is fine with me cause the tone is so rich and roomy that a little dirt does not bother me one bit. The lead channel is a WMD, I set the pre gain to seven and it is dead on for me, I play in two bands one is extreme gring/death metal and the amp is perfect, my other band a prog/power/metal this amp is again perfect.

I mentioned that I play from jazz to extreme metal, this amp has proven to be a perfect match for what I have thrown at it. I have had the amp 3 weeks and I played every guitar I own through it and all sounded kick a$$. All my amps are Peavey, s I own Classic 30, Transtube Supreme, TNT 115 and now the 6505+ Head, I run the 6505+ through a 5150 4x12 Slant and an Ampeg 4x12 Straight cab. I must be onest I did not try anything else, my experience with Peavey products now goes back 15 years and I have never had a problem. By the way all my Peavey amps are made in USA.

My brother has a 5150, he bought it Brand New in 1996. It was re-tubed once in 12 years, he play in 2 band also and gets out 2 or 3 times a month to play live. He has never had a problems with his, I think 6505+ will have the same reliability of his younger brother. ha ha my brother is younger that I.

I recently updated from a Transtube to the 6505+, if you looking for a dark bone crushing tone this is the amp. 6 12AX7 JJ ECC83s tubes on the pre amp, 4 6L6gc power tubes they were not marked so I will asume they are JJ's. Two channel with set up has Rythm: clean/crunch and Lead with individual presence and resonance controls for each channel. As far as power, there is plenty of loud. I would like a tube or spring reverb built in, does not need it but some stuff I play the effect would be nice.

metal jello
    Rautio
    This is the basic metal amp. Can't decide which high gain amp to go for? Get this.
    FryingNemo
    I heard this amp isn't good for lead, is that so? Is this better than an ENGL Powerball?
    Good_Lord
    I'll buy this head with a mesa cab that has vintage 30's. Just to say , I'm not in a hardcore , metalcore , ( insert any word you think of)core band I play melodic death , classical guitar and some expermiental stuff too . Tried it a few weeks ago and I'm in love !!!
    Mazz211
    thenewguy2 wrote: oh my god this amp sounds awesome. my friend got to buy it (the combo version) and he brought it over my house so i got to play it and it had the greatest metal tone. it sounded so tight and perfect, but my friend was an idiot and he sold it to buy a valveking which he is now trying to sell to try to buy a bugera 333xl. i tell him the 6505 is better but he sucks at guitar anyway so he cant hear the difference and hes just a rich idiot
    If you're telling the truth..... Your friend is a retard.
    thenewguy2
    disfigured-scum
    metal jello wrote: Can I get a good hard rock/classic rock/blues sound with this amp? Something like Black Stone Cherry?
    whoops i meant to quote that XD
    disfigured-scum
    FryingNemo wrote: Oh, and if it's not god for lead tones, what can I do to improve it?
    lmao, they actually use these amps xD
    cdechnik12889
    I had the 6505 212 combo, i'm guessing it sounds the same as this. I play death metal mainly and this amp is great for it, no dist. pedals needed for this one.
    xshorteyx
    Just got this amp one week ago, playing it throught a Engl slanted 4x12" with Vintage 60`s. The amp is AWESOME..! be careful btw,, i sat in front of my halfstack playing for an hour, and my ears started hurting.. so if u fire up this baby, u might need earprotection! its damn loud!
    opusthecat
    If you are looking for a good cabinet for this head you've got to try the Genz-Benz G-Flex 412. It's ported so it can handle lows better than ANY cabinet made by any other manufacturer. I had a Mesa Recto-Cab before this and it can't touch the Genz-Benz. I also put a Maxon overdrive set to 0 on the "drive" setting before this head and it really brightens up the tone immensely. Also put a Boss EQ and ISP decimator noise gate in the effects loop and that just took sound into the stratosphere. My rig and tone is f-in brutal and will rumble you to your bones.
    emarie6505
    its good with a mesa cab. i still cant get my tone just right. i use a bbe sonic maximizer with it. i really want a engl. just as heavy and awesome but dosnt have the break up and fizzle like the 6505+. as for the aesthetics it supper easy to take the grills off and paint them. iv done it a bunch of times currently its green but i might replace the grill with plexi glass.
    Nolifemusician3
    ive had this amp for about a year, ****ing love it. its great, you can simulate 3 channels on this with clean, crunch, and high gain tones. really versatile rock based tones. but SO MUCH GAIN, no amp needs that much gain... but im wondering, how does this amp compare to a carvin V3, mesa dual rectifier, boogie mark 4, or an engl powerball?
    ESPman6505+
    the 6505 has more mids than the 6505+...but the 6505+ has an extra pre-amp tube for a better clean. Most people complain about these amps because of the lack of the fender style clean. But i can easily get a good clean sound without any trouble. Then when i do i add a Chorus Factory pedal to my effects loop and it sounds tight!
    fr33t0m
    I'm using a 6505+ head on a Bugera 4x12 and the tone is amazing. Best sounding set-up I've been able to play on so far. You'll get this amp to sound great very quickly and almost everyone seems to know how road-worthy they are.
    Sickhead3000
    can someone please tell me what a great cab would be to get with this head, i play mostly death metal and need something to handle pinched harmonics and deep palm-muting