6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Price paid: A$ 2000

I use Ibanez RGT6EXFX with this amp and nothing else. This guitar has a set of active EMG 81 and 85 pickups and these could only be bettered by bareknuckle pickups. That is it. I found this amp to be quite noisey so I use a Boss Ns2 noise suppressor and all is fine :) this amp has so much tonal range, I couldnt ask for more. I have found settings from 'Bmth - count your blessings' to 'Acacia Strain - Continet'. I don't use the clean channel at all because all the clean parts in my bands songs are run off a sample pad, I've had no issues with the clean nevertheless.

I play post Hardcore and Metalcore styles, my band is heavily based on electronic influences as well as modern post hardcore styles and I've found this amp to work to the best I've ever heard when mic'd up on stage and being used along with samples and all our other instruments. I use this amp with a Marshall Mg412a quad simply because this quad cost me $500 brand new and I think they sound better then all Marshall 1960 Lead quads. Plus they are lighter and smaller. I brought this amp soley off relying on its reputation. I played this amp in a music store, perhaps, once, two years before I brought it and this amp really pulled through on everything I hoped for. If it was stolen or lost I'd prolly claim in on insurence but of course I'd get another one. The thing I love about this amp the most is how it can back me up so heavily on stage and once I have my settings found its perfect, a few things I hate about this amp is that finding the perfect tone can be very very difficult and can take hours and hours to perfect.I also hate the fact that this amp is extremely deliquite but this makes me look after it more then any amp I've previously owned. I once borrowed a friends Peavey Jsx head and I don't care what anybody says, this amp shits all over it.

I depend on this amp 100% because I sold my 100watt Marshall solid state after buying this because this amp is 1000x better in everyway. The only issue I ever had with this amp is that one of the pre amp valves came loose in its socket one day but all I had to do was simply twist it back in. I've had this amp for almost 6 months and thats the only problem I've ever had.

The amp was made in 2010. I play in a Post-Hardcore Band so I find this head perfect for finding the tonal range that I'm looking for, I have found myself using anything from a 'Of Mice and Men' sound to a 'Bmth-Suicide Season' sound. The amp has two channels, rhythm (with clean and crunch) and then the Lead channel. There is nothing I could want more on this amp, it is built perfectly for me, the only thing I don't use is the effects loop as I run a noise suppressor then straight into my wireless out of the input. I only use this amp in band practice and on stage as it isnt a very good bedroom practice amp, with that I say do not buy this amp unless you are in a band. This amp has plently of power, I Jam and play shows with it's master volume at 3. Enough said.

BMC_Warmachine
    DOOdooroCK wrote: is there a big difference between 6505 and 6505+
    Im sure this wont get looked at for some time but **** it lol. the main difference between the 2 heads is that the 6505+ has the extra preamp tube for starters...but dont let that fool you; you think it is made for more gain but its purpose is to clean up the clean channel more for the peeps crying about the cleans. u still drive the 5 preamp tubes for the same exact distortion you get from the 6505. secondly, the footswitch got a makeover, added a crunch switch to the rhythm, also added a midi pin style input with IMO is WAY better than the shite footswitch you get with the 6505. its too short and it is plastic. the 6505+ is metal and you could always get longer cables to go between to the footswitch. but at the end of the day, my vote goes to the 6505. but i dont use cleans that much XD