6505 Head review by Peavey

Peavey: 6505 Head

Price paid: A$ 800

Purchased from: private

this is 2nd hand still US built 2013 model. came with stock tubes preamp 2x Ruby 3x JJ, Ruby power, which still worked bad ass. I have changed preamp to 1x Sovtek, 2x Tungsol, 2x JJ. this achieved bit of extra harmonics and overtones which i kinda like. I am not an expert on tubes and my main inspiration came from various reviews on the amp and preamp tube comparisons. my attention to 6505 came after tracking guitars on DSL and not being able to cut thru the mix guitars as I wished to especially in complicated textures.

I play/record an extreme metal music and this amp is the AMP. I am boosting it with Bad Monkey and using noise gate ISP which works great. The amp is noisy as is - but so are all high gain amps. ISP is again great pedal that does the trick not affecting tone. 6505 sounds huge at any level mostly because it is so mids heavy and because the main saturation comes from the preamp section. When I have compared 6505 to new DSL (which I loved as the tone but was harder to do a mix) the major difference was how it cuts thru the mix.

Had it only few months and playing it only at around 3 at volume - still over 110db thru 4x12 Marshall X-pattern V30/G12T75s. Very loud and clean at all volumes. Will need to see if there are any issues but so far no probs, not scratchy pots or any issues. I read these are built to last and withstand anything. I would be happy if this is true. But by judging by the cover it it had few rough years already in the pocket and yet its still a great amp. Built is very solid and there is good solid material used across the amp so it should survive gigging and other use.

This amp is designed for metal and it is the best metal amp by way of recording application. There are many amps that can dial great tone and sound better than Peavey 6505 in live music. But the second you start recording and looking for a tone that shines thru the mix, can quad track and still don't sound muddy - here is the amp you have to try first. This amp is so cheap 2nd hand (even new one) and should be the 1st stop for any guitarist that wants great sounding metal amp. Its easy to dial tone on both channels - quite a flexibility on the OD for various tones - in metal genres.