6534+ review by Peavey

Peavey: 6534+

Price paid: C$ 1200

I mainly play metal (BFMV, Trivium, some Metallica), my main guitars are a Gibson Flying V with EMG 81/60 and a Godin Redline 1 with EMG 81. Very agressive distortion, has a natural sizzle that makes it sound great. Its kind of a throaty distortion but also tight and articulate which is excellent for me. Its also a bit more versatile than the 6505+. This amp sounds amazing to me but I have a few gripes with it: it has a built in noise reduction circuit but still very noisy on the lead channel. The clean channel is very bright (could be because of my speaker cabinet though) and the lead channel is like maybe 85% of the way there to my ideal tone (again the speaker cabinet is holding me back a bit I think). Its very loud too, never had to turn it up to 3 yet... But cleans are alot better than any other 6505. It supposedly has an excellet crunch too, but I have not played with that setting too much yet.

This amp so far I think has proven to be the ideal amp for the tone I'm after at a reasonable price, sure there might be an amp out there that's a bit better but it probably costs 2500$+ too. Its a well priced american made amp that sounds brutal when needed but also cleans up very nicely. The only word of advice I'd give with buying this amp is buy a dark, bass heavy cab to pair with it, my current cabinet is very bright wich is not working well, I think a dark bassy sounding cab would be a perfect match. I've been playing guitar for 6 years and love this amp, although if something were to happen to it, I may buy it again, but I also might buy an axe fx instead (I am a freak for versatility even though I don't necessarily need it). I've tried several different amps including mesa dual recs and Roadsters, Marshall JVMs, a couple Riveras, and a few other peaveys but this one stood out to me, it sounds unique, I have yet to hear a similar sound from a different amp yet. The EL34s is the big draw for this amp, if you like them you'll love this if you don't like them, you'll hate this amp. Just kinda the way it is. I would be very interested to see a 6534 single channel or a 212 combo version too. And please Peavey get rid of the 7 pin footswitch jack!

A couple weeks after I bought the amp, 2 preamp tubes and a poweramp tube blew, but it was under warranty so my local shop took care of it for free (tubes were still under warranty) but so far the amp has held up like a tank, not much more to say, its a Peavey.

The amp feature wise is fairly basic. It has 2 channels with independant EQs, and resonance and presence controlls for each channel, and an fx loop. There is also a crunch mode and bright switch over the clean channel however on the crunch is footswitchable. The amps footswitch is 3 buttons, one for channel switching, one for the fx loop, and one for the crunch feature. It has all the features I need and not a ton of fancy switches and all, but I really wish the cable/jack for the footswitch wasn't th odd 7 pin jack, it makes channel switching with external devices (effects units like the TC Electronics Gmajor2 or G system) a pain because you need custom cables.

travs2448
    slipknot_420 wrote: travs2448 wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: I really cant believe you tried dual recs or roadsters and chose this??? A 2 ch. dual recs dirty ch. would murder this amp and eat the remains and cost less at that. And versatility wise a roadster would wreck the 6534+. I mean its an ok amp but like epi I prefer the 6505, el-34s arent meant to be in that amp. You're so wrong dude, a dual rec is a tottaly different amp and they are both great. travs2448 wrote: slipknot_420 wrote: I really cant believe you tried dual recs or roadsters and chose this??? A 2 ch. dual recs dirty ch. would murder this amp and eat the remains and cost less at that. And versatility wise a roadster would wreck the 6534+. I mean its an ok amp but like epi I prefer the 6505, el-34s arent meant to be in that amp. You're so wrong dude, a dual rec is a tottaly different amp and they are both great. Have you ever played any of the amps mentioned?? I doubt you have, so seriously dont post till you have some knowledge on the topic. I have played all amps mentioned and own a 2 ch. blackface dual rec. As I said 6534 is ok but the 6505 is better! And a 2 ch. rec would murder it. As a roadster would too.
    Actually i have played them both soo i know how they both sound. sorry to ruin your day
    EpiExplorer
    I prefer the 6505, has more potential. For instance, it has a really nice black metal tone, while also has the capability for a good prog metal tone.
    themelodicdeathshow
    travs2448
    swordsofplague
    +1 good sir. In the $1200 range, the two "standard" metal amps are the Mesa Dual Rec and the 6505/6505+. Both are very good, very powerful amps, it just depends on the tone you're looking for
    katalyzt13
    I'm glad to see this review, but I sure would like to know more about the clean tone. Any hopes for some sound clips from anybody posted on their profile?
    ciadude2
    I love my 6505+ personally. I have a Tubescreamer and an MXR 10 band EQ with it so I get plenty of gain and really any tones I could want. Even the cleans sound awesome with this EQ.
    14xjake
    i have a 6505+. Lead channel is amazing, but its really noisy. clean channel is average, but no one is going to buy this for the clean channel anyway.
    sammo_boi
    And please Peavey get rid of the 7 pin footswitch jack!
    My 6505 has a 1/4" footswitch :O Probably agree with most of the above, EL34's are great, but not for this amp. The 6505 is meant for destroying things, not british tones.
    Virrin666
    Ok so my other guitarist has the 6505+ and i have the 5150II and this. Theyre all about the same with the exact same guitar and cab and settings, idk whyits all so damn debatable but, the 6534 seems a bit darker and growlier thant the others through a marshall 1960a with v30's. I like them all and they all have great possibilities. I may go mesa one day, but i trust peavey. Ive had a marshall jvm 410h and 210h and a few crates voxs kranks and peavey shines through more than all of them. like i said. i trust peavey, ive never had a problem with peavey, and they stand up and stare down at 99.9% of all the competition, no matter what amp you wanna get
    rbayless10
    This amp is a piece of shit, I bought it fairly new not even gigged and the the tubes stopped lighting up and now the amp doesn't even make sound. Gently used not even gigged. I have a line 6 mk100 made in china still works great, this was made in usa? smh...
    themelodicdeathshow