AmpKit Link review by Peavey

Peavey: AmpKit Link

Price paid: € 29

Purchased from: Peavey Italy

The models of the Ampkit are pretty cool, and the sound combination if you buy the full version of the software (you can also buy additional gear later) is pretty deep. Certainly you can't expect a huge sound quality from your guitar (I used it with a Les Paul Studio and a Strat American Special)... For example the dynamics are not so great and it tends to "equalize" a bit all your different guitars and pickups, but it's still a very cool and useful (and relatively cheap) tool for practice. You can use it with headphones or connect your ipod/iphone/ipad to a external speaker system. I connected my Ipod Touch to a pair of studio monitors and the result was pretty decent. You can also record what you're playing, at the same time in processed and "dry" mode. You can edit the unprocessed dry recording with any amp or effect later. That's cool.

I think this could be a useful practice/cheap tool. The downside is you need to have a iOS device since the software is working only on iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. Don't expect miracles from this Ampkit and you won't be disappointed.

Basically it's a piece of plastic, but I found it pretty solid. It takes one AA battery to run, but after several months the first battery I put in still works. Amazing.

Ampkit is a combination of Ampkit Link (hardware) and Ampkit+ (software). It's made by Peavey in collaborations with Agile. It allows you to connect your guitar to an iphone/ipad/ipoud touch through a pre-amplifier with anti-feedback & anti-crosstalk system, then have various functions (amp modeling, tuner, recorder) with the software. Using it is very simple and intuitive. You can make all the combinations you want with virtual amplifiers, pedals, microphones and so on. The full version of the software (Ampkit +) costs about additional 30$, but there's a free version with limited gear in it.

Belzebubb
    I think the last sentence of the review sums it up perfectly... don't expect anything more than a cheap practicing tool and you won't be disappointed.
    jlkbbk2003
    I bought one and you have to be computer geek to even get it started, but it has NO versatility. Can't be used on a computer, can ONLY be used on a ipad - but no other models of pads out there. It's not expensive, but really its too confusing, really its just too much of nothing and I would say get something better. Just buy a generic guitar interface and download any app you want, don't waste the money and headache on this thing. This one is so particular and works with nothing else
    DimebagZappa
    The hardware is only for iphone/pad/touch. The software is availiable on computer. I use both amPkit and amplitube, Ampkit being the better sounding of the two. Both are pretty crappy and a noise gate is 100% nessessary at all times distortion or overdrive is present. It a fun little practice toy, but not much else.
    Vypor
    I agree with ol' DimebagZappa there completely. Fun toy, maybe good for practicing in the back of a van while your on the road, but not practical.
    R3l3ntl3ss
    I love this gizmo. I work away a lot and it means I can shred away in my hotel room, but, by the time you have bought the hardware and upgraded the software to any decent level, you could have bought a half decent amp on EBay, so it is not the cheapest way to travel light. I use it with either a Jackson DXMG or a Hamer Chapperal and the sound is pretty good. The noise gate is a bit heavy handed in the standard presets, so, if like me, you have sustainer pickups, you will need to reign it in a bit to get the full effect. All in all, a thumbs up.
    bob.kroodsma
    Can anyone tell me if this device is better then the Apogee Jam? And is it compatible with all other app's?
    ijmbusiness
    aw hell no, I have one of these and it is noisy as hell, distortion effects are useless... from what i hear the apogee is cream of the crop and fully digital as it plugs into the lightning port or the big pin connector if you have the old ipad. This thing just plugs into the headphone jack and sounds pretty terrible... I might try replacing the batteries to see if that helps, other than that. Wouldn't recommend this unless its just for practice... I am getting the apogee... at just over $100 for studio quality... I'm in!
    daflame
    I have one of these and it's great, thing is use garageband with it not the ampkit+ software so I don't have the issues that other people have with it.