Audition 110 review by Peavey

Peavey: Audition 110

I use my Tele, Strat and SG with it. The Tele's neck pup shines on it, and other pickups sound well with it. My band forces me to play hard rock stuff, which I don't hate but don't love, but alone and jamming with friends I play indie, funk and progressive. The amp is good for practising, and jamming with common drummers (not like mine, who destroys drums all the time), and getting nice light distortion. Cranking up all the distortion causes noise and hum as expected, but you get a lot of punch, which I like from this amp: it "kicks" your sound so it gets to the audience.

As I said, a good practise amp for someone who goes frequently to small venues or auditions, never expect a tube sound out of it, transtube technology is just a lie, yes it sounds good but never as tubes. I've been playing for six years now, and I want a tube amp, but when I'm on my apartment jamming with friends I don't need a heavy head bothering the neighbours, so this is a good match. This amp is probably older than me and still works very well even though it is "road worn", so you can depend on it as your first amp.

I wouldn't use it on a gig as I prefer tube amps, and need more prescense, but it is dependable for a rehearsal, lets say Audition amplifier. If it falls, it doesn't break, and trust me, my drummer treats everything as he treats his drums, so yes, it has taken a lot of damage, but it still works quite good, only getting a few chips and dents here or there, but that's how I like amps. Another important thing is that the amp housing and speaker cabinet is made of hard plastic, no wood, so you can call it "solid state" in all senses.

Made in the mid 90's, I found it gathering dust on my drummer's house. He said it was a crappy broken amp, but I brought it home so I could clean it, as it was all it needed. It is a 25 watt, 2 channel amp. It has a Pre knob (which is actually the volume for the clean), a Supersat knob (gain actually), Post knob, 3 band eq and reverb. No master volume. Low gain and High gain inputs, preamp and headphones. I wish it had a master volume and no reverb, as this Peavys and Laneys with reverbs are always bad. I use this amp home, as with my band I use my MG100HFX and I'm getting a Tiny Terror and Valve Jr. For a personal use, it is a good amp, it sounds good on the cleans and the distortion is not too bad, of course, this Transtube thing doesn't sound like tubes anyhow, don't be fooled by that.