Backstage review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Peavey: Backstage

Purchased from: Melody Music

For this amp I mainly used my Peavey Raptor, but I have borrowed by friend's Aria on it, and it sounded great. The amp can't really fit any certain type of music styles, but with a tube in the amp I used, it managed a nice rich clean. (For reviewing purposes, I also tried a solid state Backstage) If you are a beginner using this amp, don't use stompboxes or multi-FX pedals, because your sound will end up really mushy (on both Tube and Solid State).

My overall impression is that this amp will be suitable for beginners, but even after using it for a while they will wish they had gotten another amp. If I lost or this amp got stolen, I wouldn't bother getting another one, even though I use it as a sound monitor, I'll use my other beginners amp, my Silvertone Smart III for my monitor. If I had the proper knowledge to do in depth modifcations, I would defintely add a gain to this amp and maybe even a flanger or chorus modulation effect.

I have to say, because of this amps durability, is one of the reasons why I am keeping this amp, when I get my new amp. I have never inflicted pain on purpose to this amp, but it has dropped out of my van, and I was quite surpised it hasn't broken. I will never actually be playing through this amp again because I made some modifcations to be able to use it as a sound monitor.

I got this amp in a Peavey stage back, so it worked pretty well with the included Peavey Raptor. After playing with this amp for a couple of months, it gets very frusturating trying to get your sound from this amp, as there is no gain knob. For beginners, it has everything they need, but after a while with this amp, they will want to upgrade to something substaintually bigger. Also noteworthy, is that I purchased the stage pack from a pawnshop, and the dealer said something was done to the amp, but he didn't know what was done. My amps solid state circuitry was switiched out for a tube.