Backstage review by Peavey

Peavey: Backstage

I'm using a Squier Fat Strat with this amp. I mostly play blues and classic rock, with the occasional hard rock (and sometimes harder stuff but just for fun). It's not too loud, but if you turn it up to 10 it can get loud for someone in the same room as you trying to do something else to ask you to turn it down. It's pretty basic, and the overdrive isn't very heavy at all. I always just used a cheap Boss DS-1 I keep by it for distortion. The clean channel doesn't distort at high volumes, which is a plus.

Again, this amp is only meant for practice so don't expect tone. It's only $80 dollars, tone is much more expensive than $80! I've been playing for about a year, and now I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I keep this amp for just messing around, practicing, and pretty much an amp that I won't care if it breaks. If it was lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again, because I'd like to try a different practice amp. I don't really have a favorite feature because there aren't that many features. I didn't compare with anything else because I was new to the guitar world when I bought it. I wish it had reverb and a knob for mids, but I don't need those for a practice amp. Overall I'd recommend people get look for something else if they need a cheap practice amp or beginner's amp, but people are a bit harsh on it. Good tone is not to be expected from a practice amp, so instead of rating practice amps based on features and tone I would focus more on price and reliability.

I've had this amp for about a year and I've never had any problems with it. I would never gig with this amp, as it's only meant for practice in a small room, but if it was a better amp with the same reliability as this amp I would gig with it without a backup. It has been knocked over a few times and been dropped at about 2 feet and it suffered no damage. If it did break though I wouldn't bother fixing it as it isn't worth that much.

I'm not sure what year this amp was made in, but I purchased it in late 2006. This amp is not meant to be used for jamming, gigging, recording, etc. It is simply a practice amp to use when you don't want to bother anyone and don't need killer tone. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. It has knobs for overdrive, volume, low, and high. It also has an input jack, another input jack you can plug your CD player into, and a headphones jack. It could use a control for mids and reverb, but it's only meant for practicing.