Backstage review by Peavey

Peavey: Backstage

Purchased from: local music shop

I've used two guitars with this amp both being Ibanez, one guitar suited to metal and another which is goodish all round. As for music style I play just about anything but this amp doesn't really offer too much variety of sound. I think it is greatly restricted by the lack of further EQ but as a beginner I didn't really care about a perfect tone. The amp is pretty decent for its size, I have played this full whack on a few occasions and it does pack a punch. I have messed around with EQ in order to get different sounds but as I said before its limited. This amp wouldn't really be suitable for any other environment than a bedroom. The clean doesn't really distort at full, may be a little but nothing too noticeable. The distortion is capable for basic lead but not quite enough for anything heavier than some lighter metal. The distortion is pretty decent and adjustable to suite rhythm tones.

I think this amp would be fine for beginners, I also use this amp to run multi effects units into via the tape/CD input and it sounds decent and does the job. Overall a decent amp for the superb cheap price, would recommend to any beginner.

I owned this amp a couple of years when it randomly stopped working after a loud bang. I wasn't too bothered as I had already had a new amp but I took it back to the shop I had it where I had it and they replaced it straight away. Other than that I have never had any problems with this or any other Peavey amps I have owned.

Not sure when this was made, I do know that this amps was perfect for me as a beginner as it offered me the sounds I needed without having to mess with EQ too much. The amp has 2 channels a clean and a lead. It also has a headphone jack as well as a Tape/CD input. I think the amp could be better with the help of a mid control but as this is a beginners amp I wasn't too fussed. I would say this amp is suited for practice and not much else, due to volume and the available option for EQ.