Backstage review by Peavey

Peavey: Backstage

Purchased from: jofogas.hu

I tried 2 guitars (the Benton Les Paul & a Squier Strat) and the clean tones are surprisingly good. The overdrive... Not so much. It's very basic and it doesn't sound organic. Besides there's no distortion. I got myself a distortion pedal & an external EQ and got to work on some kind of metal tone, but I did not succeed. The distortion pedal (MTZ MetalZone) sounded muddy even without the external EQ.

Considering that I got it for free really I don't say it's horrible. I just say it does not suit my music style (which is mainly metal). I've been using it for over a year and besides this I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (which I use more). I really only have this 'cus it was free. If I'd lose it I wouldn't care. I'd probably give no money for this amp. The only good thing might be in this amp is that it's really durable. As I said I dropped it multiple times, as I got it I just threw it into my car's trunk and drove through a really bumpy (Hungarian) road and heard it being thrown around back there. I was going "f--k this, if it breaks apart I'll sell its parts" but it did not get damaged at all.

I would never take it to a gig. Not even with any kind of backup. EVER! It's really only good to the garage or bedroom for practicing and basically nothing else. But at least it never had a problem. I dropped it several times while carrying it from one place to the other and it still is good, it has no problem.

For a 10W combo (practice) amp from 2005 it is really not THAT bad. To tell you the truth I got it for free with a Harley Benton Les Paul 450CS, wich I paid 30.000 HUF for (~$160). The very first thing I noticed on it is that it only has a 2-band EQ. That's quite bad even for a cheap amplifier like this. It has a Tape/CD & a headphone jack, but I really did not care about it, I never used the tape/CD function, and I never tried plugging a headphone in.

Ultraussie
    I've still got this amp. My only amp, and I want to upgrade. After 3 years of of using this amp, and 2 of using the Digitech RP90 to get my metal on (Sounds ****ing good actually), I'm like THIS THINGS TO SMALL!!!
    GUS54
    This is an excellent "practice" amp. That's what it is. As others have said, "it would survive nuclear fallout" and it would probably take a direct nuclear strike to finally kill it. It's overdrive channel is terrible, but.....the clean channel is fine and it can take pedals. So.....in my ex-garage with a Boss FRV-1 reverb unit (Fender Reverb emulation) and clean channel, you are good to go!