Bandit 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Bandit 112

I have two guitars an Epiphone SG Special and Ibanez. I will be using the SG for the clean and classic distortion and the Ibanez for then modern and high gain modes. Vintage: This is obviously mimicking a Fender amp here. Every note played is bright and crisp. I would highly recommend using humbuckers rather then single coils so the tone is to thin and trebly. Using the neck pick up you get a real rich balanced tone, sounding warm and deep yet maintaining its signature snap making the notes sounding full and lively. Perfect for some clean blues licks and melodies. Overall a real good clean channel that's perfect for blues, country and 50-60's pop/rock. Classic: This is quite the departure from what you was hearing on the Vintage mode. The crispiness has gone down and we get a more darker, warmer and dryer sounding tone good for strumming chord patterns with. I think this is great for when your switching between distorted and clean in rock and metal style songs as your going from a dark dry clean tone to a heavy in your face distorted sound. Its hard to explain but overall I think this is a great usable clean sound Warm: I never use this mode at all as its seems that everything's seems to harsh on this one all the notes you play sound to sharp to me I also personally think the classic sounds warmer then this channel. I think they was trying to get a sort of Vox tone here. I think this would be great for 60's and 70's music. Overall I'm not a fan as its sounds harsh as you crank up the volume here. Classic: First up in the array of distorted tone classic sounds as if its giving you those old rock and hard rock tones you'd expect from a Marshall Plexi or JCM. With the gain on half way you get a decent Led Zeppelin tone whilst winding it up to 3/4 gives you a real good AC/DC. Then on full gain you get a surprisingly good pop-punk tone (Blink-182, Green Day etc). Overall a great sounding distortion for classic rock and even some punk bands. Modern: Like I said now I'm switching to my Ibanez as it fits the metal storm that's about to come. This mode is nothing like classic. Its scooped and has a ton of gain resembling the brutal tones of some metalcore MySpace band that just came out yesterday. Turning the mids up and it still sounds extremely scooped but gives of more of a sound similar to Pantera. Once again a excellent distortion that sounds as brutal as hell. High Gain: This sounds alot like the classic except they just supercharged the gain and increased the low end considerably. I use this distortion the must as it suites my playing. This mode definitely resembles bands such as System Of A Down, Papa Roach and Whitechapel as the power chords ring out strong and the palm mutes are as brutal as ever. Great sound! Overall a very versatile amp that ranges from country cleans to brutal modern day distortion great for all players not exactly ace but for the price its in a class of its own. The reverb also sounds great and realistic and the amp isn't really noisey at all and also note that this amp is tremendously loud, it shakes everything about when the volume on the lead channel is at 4!

I've been playing for almost 4 years now, I've been through many amps but I've owned this one for the longest and haven't even fought about getting a new amp. If it was broken or lost I would buy again for sure. Everything I want this amp has besides the head phone input. I love the tone and feel it has with it and that its got plenty of sounds and isn't even digital. My friend owns a Peavey Vypyr 30 and he was playing my Ibanez though this amp and said that he prefers this amp as it you can really feel the tone coming out of it unlike on the Vypyr. I thinks that's down to the transtube technology Peavey have incoperated on this amp. If anyone who is looking for a new amp and on a budget I highly recommend you consider this before putting your money forward.

The amp is built like a tank its rugged and tough and feels as if its built to last. I've never had a problem with it and I probably never will by the looks of it. I don't gig but I'm sure this amp would work fine in any situation without any back up. So I can safely give the Bandit a ten out of ten on this field.

Before I start this I would like to point out that there are many versions of this amp around all tweaked slightly than the other as Peavey has been making Bandits since the 90's. The one I'm reviewing is the lastest model released in 2008 I believe. I bought mine in June 2010 for about 200 if I remember correctly. It has all the features you could want. I'm going to list these features if you don't already know as there is a few of them. . 2 channels (Clean + Lead [distorted]) each with 3 different voicings (Clean: Vintage, Classic and warm) (Lead: Classic, Modern, High Gain) also each channel has its own volume and EQ governing them. . Global digital reverb which is a crucial feature for me as I can't bare a dry tone and also a boost knob. . High and low gain inputs, useful mainly for players who use active pick ups who want to control the there output. . Footswitch (sold separately) once again a nice feature for performance and pratice. The footswitch basically allows you to switch channels and activate the boost worth putting forward the 20.00 for IMO. . Effects loop, I only use a delay and chorus pedal so I prefer to put them straight forward as the effects loop thems to flatten the tone. . Power selection, a brand new feature for the bandit's allowing you to use an optional 25, 50 or 100 watts of power which is allows players to use this amp quietly for practice or loud for gigging. . Damping switch, you can choose from loose, medium and tight. I think this basically makes the tone more controlled as when you switch it to tights from loose it reduces the gain a bit and opens upn the low end more. I always keep mine on loose as it makes the tone more responsive and bigger sounding. . Direct output: an output that can be used when connecting the bandit to an interface or a mixer etc I tried hooking this up to my computer via this output but didn't barely get any results so I'm guessing you need other equipment to use this for recording. . External speaker out: This allows players to connect the bandit to a speaker cabinet. I've had no experience with this but it says "Minimum external speaker impedance 8 ohms" in the manual if that means anything to anyone. . 12 inch blue marvel speaker. . Finally the main feature this amp has is in its circuit. It has Peavey's "Transtube technology" which basically emulates tube tone and fee. Overall the Bandit has enough features to cover me and suites all styles. The only thing it could have is a head phone jack for silent practice at night but I am very impressed with what's on offer here so I will give it a 9/10.

Kahner
    I'd hardly say that a 9.3 is too much for a SS amp. The well loved Axe-FX is completely solid state, as well as the JC-120. Saying that unless it has valves it can't possibly sound worthy of a high score seems like little more than cork sniffing snobery. Granted, this is by far not a good example of a top of the line SS amp and certainly doesn't deserve a nine.
    Virrin666
    PatrickChampoux
    A 9,3 for a SS amp is way too much.
    stevescot69
    Most of these comments are from people who have never owned or gigged with this amp. I gig it regular and use it at jams. The benefits of this amp is its light weight, stays clean at any volume, reliability (gigged it for several years, no problems) and it can cut through the band mix at large venues. I like the amp so much i went out and bought another so I can have one in the van for gigs and one to take round to jams around the area. Plus, the 1st time i used it a guy turned up and recorded the amp on his phone as he liked the sound so much he wanted to show it to his mates.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Virrin666 wrote: Ive had this amp for over 4 years and i cant get rid of it. im using a valveking stack for gigs now and It works astonishingly well for metal( i play in a metal band ( OF GREAT DESCENT))BUt the bandit can do it all, gigs and practice. It handles every thing ive thrown at it. I have a pod hd 500, a pod xt live, A Digitech HMM, a Digitech DM, a Mxr Fullbore metal distortion, a digitech distortion factory, a digitech bad monkey, a bbe sonic stomp, and an 80's Ibanez Tube screamer, and they ALL sound great through this amp in multiple settings. But I STILL cant get over this amps tone. No matter which one of my 13 guitars i run through it they all sound good Maybe its just a preference idk. But my only wish is that theyd make an actual head for better cabbing, I.E. Half/Full stack. Please Peavey, give me a Bandit 120 watt stack....Posibly tube...
    This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard and peavey basically did make it a tube amp ala the peavey butcher.
    ibanart300
    Some people need to learn how a rating works. Giving it a 9 was the reviewers perspective on the product it doesn't mean that - hey it has a nine it's not allowed a nine because there are better sounding amps. The 9 was given for the product alone it isn't meant to be compared in a ratings war. That's why UG allows multiple reviews for the one product because you are effectively getting someone's opinion on a product...
    Matmoesa
    this amp was my first combo for gigging and it was a decent amp i ended up getting a valvestate marshal due to liking the marshal tone(im in a small rock band so i have no money for a ****off tube amp). but this amp is not bad for the money you pay for it. its solid and built for a hard life in the back of a van. the only thing i have a issue with is once you start to crack the volume the sound gets rather "toppy" ( if that's even a word) it works well in gigs where if you have it miked up to a larger PA you can keep your tone and get volume but in smaller venues with less equipment and its competing with other amps i found that it just didn't cut it for me. although i do miss the boost option it came with that was amazing for solos.
    Virrin666
    Good_Lord
    Good to know they gave up their damn Scheffield speakers , I'll have to try the blue marvel.
    shecter guy
    coolchip_25
    Great amp for it's price range, I was going to buy that amp but decided to go with the traynor dyna gain. The bandit is extremely clean, and very good quality.
    rv_phoenix
    A 9,3 for a SS amp is way too much. I agree this Bandit is one of the few good SSs, but it can't overcome its physical limitations: it only emulates the way an all-tube works, it doesn't actually work or sound like one. Its worst feature is the speaker. Blue Marvel is a mediocre speaker and, given the price range, it doesn't worth replacing it. I must admit that, imagining how it would sound with a Celestion Greenback, this would be one of the best, if not the best, Solid States you can buy nowadays. However, we don't rate fantasies here, we rate actual equipment... I also disagree it's a budget amp. It costs - at my music shop - just as much as Marshall Class 5, and the double of a Fender Champion. Both of these all-tubes blow it away in all respects.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Virrin666 wrote: shecter guy wrote: I had an older version and it was a really solid amp. Cleans were amazing and it took pedals suprisingly well. Distortion was meh. Great for bluesy stuff but nowhere near high enough gain for metal. Great if you have a nice distortion pedal to throw in front of it though. Play a guitar with emgs or blackouts through it bro, it rips. Pinches are a little grainy but hey, its heavy as balls
    Active pickups are meant to be played thru a full tube amp bro, they really do nothing special thru a ss.
    Leather Sleeves
    Personally, I think if you're going to go for a Super Saiyan amp it makes more sense to go for a modeling amp. But if you want something that emulates the tube sound on a budget the Marshall Lead Mosfet is supposed to be one of the best. And I have a Peavey Supreme, which is basically the Bandit as an amp head. So if your problem with the Bandit is the speaker having a Supreme would overcome that if you had a decent cab.
    rv_phoenix
    PatrickChampoux wrote: A 9,3 for a SS amp is way too much. Seems like someone never had the chance to play a real good SS amp... Go play an ISP theta, you'll change your mind pretty quick.
    My fellow, I've had a Vox Pathfinder 15 for 11 years. It was a very good practice amp. One of the best available today, IMHO. But I wouldn't rate it a 9,3. Because, if I do so, then I'll have to rate a HiWatt Custom Combo a 39,3. That's the difference between them, in terms of sound, dynamics, distortion. And I've also tested the Bandit when I tried to replace my Vox, hoping I can still make it without paying too much. No, I didn't find any SS amp to replace the Vox: I had to go for a more expensive all-tube. SSs have vastly improved in the last two decades, but still don't have the warmth and the natural clipping of an all-tube. Still the headroom isn't large enough. Not to mention the Blue Marvel bad joke. I didn't reffer to ANY SS amp here, I was truly disappointed by this one. And the speaker is its weakest point, as for most Peaveys, including expensive all-tubes. I bet it would sound much better with a Celestion or Eminence speaker.