Bandit 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Bandit 112

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

I just got this American made Peavey Bandit 112 trans-tube model with the Sheffield 1230 8 ohm speaker. 80 watts unless an 8 ohm cab is connected and then it's 100 watts. :-) Lots of versatility with clean and distorted channels and different modes for each. I like the effects loop as I have an older Peavey footswitch which allows me to switch out the effects loop and change channels. Sound is good using T-dynamics and 3 band EQ on each channel. For the price I can't complain. $75.00 at the local pawn shop and since it's a Peavey I know it's dependable.

The sound of the distortion is quite good. The clean is not the pristine shimmer of a Fender twin but that's why you spend a lot of money for a twin. I like the modern mode in distorted channel. The clean is usable with lots of headroom. The entire amp is loud and clean sounding. I'm using it with a Mako Japanese Stratocaster copy, a USA made Tele and a USA Gibson Les Paul Studio with Stock humbuckers. I run my Boss ME-25 processor through the effects loop but I like the amp just by itself. I am especially pleased with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. I picked up a 4x12 cab with 4, 16 ohm Sheffields and I loved their sound for classic rock. I use two of them in a home-made tweed cab for my 50 watt classic head (also a Peavey).

It's a Peavey. It will be rocking out long after you and I are dead. I picked it up and it was dirty but a little cleaner and elbow grease fixed it up. It looks like it's missing a back panel but that doesn't matter to me. I'll either put a panel in it or just use my closed back 1x12 cab with an Eminence Red Coat Wizard for a bit more punch. Most dependable amps in the world are named Peavey. I have several Peavey amps including an older Classic hybrid 6L6 tube amp, a tweed classic 50 watt head and a 210 watt Musician all solid state monster head for bass, guitar keys etc.

I play blues, country and rock and it suits me fine. I have been playing guitar for over 40 years since I was a kid. I checked out the reviews on here before I bought it and they were all stellar. I saw it in the pawn shop and offered them $75.00 but I thought they were going to tell me no sale. I was pleasantly surprised when they accepted my offer. I love the power and the fact that it came with the Sheffield 1230 speaker as well as the ext. output jack. Hooking up the Wizard makes a big difference in output. Totally loud and full sound. I would not buy this amp for over $120.00 dollars but for $75.00 it was a deal. I saw a couple of different Bandits on Craigslist and I was actually thinking of buying a trans-tube like this one for $150.00 but I'm glad I waited. Hi rating because of the price.

dbruschfamily
    I bought a Bandit "silver stripe" for $60 that was stored in a closet for over 25 years, looked brand new. Used my POD500X thru it and was so impressed I found another one for $85 (clean but not as good a deal as the first one). Now I can use the dual amp capabilities and did for the first time at practice. What a stupendous sound! Bandmates couldn't believe it. I also have a Carvin 100 watt all tube V3 combo which I play sometimes at home but I'm not moving that heavy mother anywhere. The Peavey's are about 40 lbs and compact enough to fit in a car trunk vs the well over 80 lb Carvin. The Peavey's just sound good as is and I highly recommend them for those who want to use Line 6 pedals. I also have an Line 6 X3Live pedal board that I use to play bass thru the Peavey's at practice sometimes and at times use it for vocals when the PA isn't setup. Can't beat $145 for a great sounding dual amp setup.
    dbruschfamily
    Forgot to add that I will be replacing the stock Sheffield speakers with Eminence Delta Pro-12A 12" Cast Frame Drivers. These are 400 watt RMS 800 watt Max PA speakers that many guitarists use as secret weapons. For the PODHD500X you don't want a typical guitar speaker with their chararistic "mid tone" breakup that gives each "guitar speaker it's own tone. Rather let the POD do that for you. They sell some pretty expensive equipment to do what will cost me a lot less to do it myself. If you use a modeler pedalboard check out these Peavey's, they definitely will do the job and give you versatility to get any sounds and effects you can imagine.