Bravo 112 review by Peavey

Peavey: Bravo 112

Purchased from: Private Seller

I use the Bravo with my Stratocaster and my Les Paul with every pickup variation. I've learned that it transmit the bright brilliance of a Strat as well as the muffled sound of a Les Paul. Some say that the clean channel would sound a little muffled, but there's a Switch called "bright", what solvesd this problem. I like classic rock (for example: Wishbone Ash) but blues and alternative (Walter Trout, Staind) as well, so this amp is a good choice for me. As a Tube amp it is normal that it makes noise, but this is so minimal, that you can get used to it. The Peavey Bravo is very versatile in sound, because of its extreme sensitive equalizer the excelent spring reverb and the push and pull poti for more distortion. With this you can create heavey distortion sounds, but soft overdrive sound as well. I've never tested it but I suppose, that the clean sound will be distorted at high volumes, as it happens with almost every tube amp.

I really like the awesome spring reverb. It's not as good as those ones of the Fender amps, but I like this special sound. And I love the wide range of sounds you can create with it, because it sets me free in writing songs and adjust a special sound to them. Although I don't really believe in god, I would pray to him that he get me a new one, if it would be stolen or lost.

This amp never let me down, but as my father says: "it's a tube amp, there's life in it, so you have to care for it." That means that you have to change tubes, check other electronical parts and stroke him before you go to bed. The last concert I hadn't have a backup and I think as long as I care for my little Peavey, there will be no need for it.

I don't know what year the Bravo was made in, but I suppose that it was produced from the late '80s to the early '90s, because it consists of old and newer components. It's a full tube amp, but it has also ICs and a Transistor (used for Spring Reverb). The Peavey Bravo is a little miracle of sound. You can make it sound like an old Marshall Tube Amp or like newer Transistor Amps. It has two Channels and an extreme sensitive equalizer for each channel. They can be switched by pressing "Channel" on the front or kicking "channel select" on the footswitch. There's a Switch for turning on/off the Reverb, too. On the back it has a simple Effect Loop (two jacks: send-return), but there's no headphone jack. Although I think this is the most versatile and cheapest brand quality guitar amplifier (made in usa! ), I wish it had another channel switching mechanism. Because the channels aren't switched directly, so you can't easily Switch for i.e. verse, chorus. So far I never used the output jack for a second speaker (4 ohm). At the moment I use it at home, but I've played with it on a little open air concert, so it's powerful enough for getting deaf at home.

KenG
    I own one of these as well but bought it new for $450 CAD in 93 at Steve's Music in Ottawa. I think you got a good deal.
    Robyglesias
    i bought the bravo 112 brand new in 1982, and it has not given me any problems till this month, 27 years of use and abuse, it is a great amp