Classic 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 30

Purchased from: SamAsh

I'm using an ESP F-50. It sounds pretty good to me. It could sound better if I get a better guitar with better pickups because ESP don't match with classic rock. I can sometimes hear a tube rattle when it's loud, but I don't always keep this amp on loud volumes so I barely hear it. If you're gigging, it won't matter either because you won't hear the rattling. It's perfect for bands like AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream. Pretty much any classic rock band you can think of. I'm not sure when does this amp get it's break up point, but it definetly has enough headroom for me. The distortion is classic brutal.

Again, I play classic rock, hard rock, and blues. Yes it is a perfect match, and will sound better with new JJ tubes. Mine of course, came with crappy Sovtek tubes. I've been playing for a year and a half, and I don't have anything else I own that's guitar related anymore because I've sold it just to buy this amp. Maybe in the future I'll buy a footswitch for this amp, new tubes, and a fuzz pedal. If it were stolen, I'd probably go and try out that Blackheart handsome devil and buy that instead, but I doubt it'll get stolen where I Live. I love that it's a great amp for classic rock, I hate that mine didn't come with the tube guard, and that they didn't have it in tweed, and that it didn't come with JJ tubes. I did compare it to a Palomino V32, and a valveking. This Classic 30 won. 8.5, but It would be a 9 if it had that tube guard and JJ's.

I'm guessing I can depend on this. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I've read lots of reviews about this amp and haven't seen any that it breaks down while playing at a gig. I would never gig without a backup. You always need a backup. No it has never broke down. I take care of my instruments.

I got the 2005 version of this amp. Sadly it didn't come with the tube protector that the new ones come. They were having a closeout on that item so I guess all they had was 2005 models, but I did get the new chassis design. It's perfect for what I play which is classic rock, some hard rock, and sometimes blues. Don't expect to get Metallica without an OD pedal out of this amp. IMO it gets close to Metallica, but then again it would sound more like them with a good OD pedal. This amp came with two channels. Didn't come with with the footswitch though. No headphone jacks, and yes it has an effect loop. I do wish it had a stand-by Switch. Peavey should stop putting that Boost Switch b/c it just cuts your EQ bad. I use it in my room, and it's actually perfect for me. Yes it is 30 watts of tube power, but I usually keep my Vol on 2, and for the 2nd channel I sometimes go from 2 to 3 to 4. It really depends on the gain I'm on because if you raise the gain knob it gets a little louder so you have to adjust with the post volume.