Classic 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 30

Purchased from: Morgan Music

I played many guitars through it, Gibson's LPs to Ric 12 string, and really allows the guitars personality to show through. With a single coil it doesn't get a whole lot of gain but with hum buckers it's like turning the gain up a notch. It's a great amp for anyone Who is not looking for a metal amp, great amp for power pop/pop rock, if you can Live with only two channels. The cleans are good no Fender, they are kind of dark and chimey; every EL84 sounding cleans, kind of like a Vox AC-30. The OD is good very usable great for any thing less than modern metal, hard rock would be a struggle depending on the tone you are looking for and the guitar you use, but I found the amp very usable.

I play Rock and the amp really was good for me, it was my first tube amp and really helped me discover real tone. I have play for 7 years and cannot believe it took me 6 years to discover what great sounds that cannot be replicated in tube amps. I have traded this amp for something a little more versatile, but am really thinking about buying a used one off eBay just to use as a practice amp, and a backup, it's always nice to have something to back you up even if you have a pro setup, because you never know what might happen. It's also nice to have a second nice amp when jamming with your friends.

Great amp it's a Peavey so it's built twice as tough as it needs to be, I always gig without a back up. I easy on my stuff, I try to be, but the amp never gave me any trouble. I have had 4 Peavey amps now and they have all been built so tough, they make great gear, and it's made in the USA, you don't hardley see that any more, what eles could you ask for?

I bought the amp new in 2007, and is probably one of the most versatile amps around for under 1000 USD, it can easily cover any thing from 60 rock, to 80s hair metal with a good boost from an OD. This amp came with JJ EL-84s and they really make the amp come to life compared to my friends C50 with Sovtecs. The amp is only 2 channels, which share the same EQ; I really wish that each channel had separate EQs. I had the head version pushing a 412 cab, and let me tell you, if you never heard 30 all tube watts through a half stack a full volume; it will nearly blow you away. In a combo I sure it would enough head room to be over the drums, and long as you mic the amp it would be enough for any stage as long as you stay pretty close to the amp. I love turning the clean channel up and get power tube break up and you can do it with this amp without totally destroying your ears. Mine came with the tube guard.

Tokai ALS-48
    Orneblad wrote: how do you guys think the amp will sound with pedals? i'm thinking of one of these but i want moore gain, so i was thinking of some pedals....
    It sounds amazing with an Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer as boost if you wan't a little more gain.