Classic 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 30

Purchased from: Used

I primarily use this amp with my Gibson SG Standard. If you spend enough time with equalization settings, you can get a Vintage tone with about any pickup style, whether they are Vintage-oriented or modern-oriented. This amp suits my tastes just right. I do a lot of Led Zeppelin and Cream music, and this fits the ticket. Like most EL84-driven amps, there is a slight amount of noise, but that's not that big of a deal. Higher gain settins will also bring more noise. This amp has a very nice clean channel, and the dirty channel can bring you to areas of hard rock and possibly metal, depending on the pickups in your guitar, and if you are using any pedals or not. I don't run any pedals in my chain, and this thing can do what I consider to be a metal tone, but it's more of a classic metal tone. On the clean channel, the tubes start breaking up around halfway on the volume knob. Like most tube amps, it sounds better as the volume is turned up.

As I have mentioned, I play classic rock and blues. This amp is right on for those tones. I have been playing for over three years, and I also have a Gibson SG Standard, a Carvin Bolt, and an Aria acoustic guitar dating from 1977. If I somehow lost this amp, there is a chance that I would buy another, but I might also be looking to get a Marshall Bluesbreaker as a step up. I love the classic tone I get from this. The only thing I don't like is the boost feature. If you can buy one of these used, go for it, because they are very affordable.

This amp is an amp I can depend on. I've had it well over a year, and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. I would feel quite comfortable gigging with this thing without a backup, though it is usually wise to bring one because there is a chance that the venue may have a faulty power supply. I can neglect this thing and nothing will go wrong. I haven't had to change tubes yet, but with this thing, all you have to do is pull the old ones out and put the new ones in -- no biasing required.

My Peavey Classic 30 is a black 2006 model. It is a great amp for what I play, which is classic rock, blues, and blues rock. It has two channels, and they can be controlled by a footswitch, which will have to be purchased separately; or by the button on the amp. There is an effects loop. The boost feature is quite useless, and in my experience it just makes it sound bad. The reverb is quite nice, in my opinion. I primarily use this as a bedroom amp, but it does have enough power for gigs. It is a tube amp that runs on three 12AX7s and four EL84s. My Classic 30 came with four Sovteks in the power section, while there were two JJs and one Sovtek in the preamp. It features a 12-inch Peavey Blue Marvel speaker. This amp has about all you need for classic styles of rock and blues.