Classic 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 30

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Particular 2nd owner

I use a Fender Stratocaster Highway One with H-S-S Atomic and Alnico (stock)pickups and a Samick Greg Bennett Avion double Humbuckers and both sound to their best on this amp.The sound out of it is very powerful and creamy,it's on a wooden floor and about 20 inches of a cement wall,even at high volume and gains it's dead quiet as if it were off. You'll be able to achieve most classic(hence to name) sounds with ease and rest assured it will do the heavier tones quite well without help. I can confirm this amplifier can definitely play "brutal" metal,just not without help. The cleans are as good as you'd expect,nothing less.Keep in mind though that we are talking 30 Watts meaning over 7.5-8 on the clean channel it will start breaking. The Classic50 would be more recommendable to a player in need of ultra high volume cleans to keep things together at all time.

It's a good match for most players looking for something genuine, durable, loud and cheap. Played sporadically over 10 years since I also play other instruments. I used to own a Fender Blues Deluxe & a Gibson NightHawk. I sold them. Missed them. Got my present gear and never looked back. If it got stolen I'd buy another or a bigger one, I would not consider anything else. The look is certainly the thing most people like at first, that is until they hear how equally sexy it sounds! There's only one thing I really don't like and it is the lack of a standby Switch which will cause a loud click upon powering down but this true for any similar amplifier design.

Never gig without some sort of backup, so I might just get one of it's head/cabinet brother and keep this one as backup. It has not had the time to break down on me but I have inspected the electronics, wires and most parts for traces of repairs and dismantling to no avail.It's still got the stock tubes and speaker. Depending on where you Live, owning a tube amp can be a curse or not if it comes down to repairing, in my city this is not a problem, I have access to various custom amplifier shops that are into tube only and Vintage amps etc so it's easy and cheaper if anything happens to it or just to buy a new speaker/set of tubes.

Year is unknown, I'd assume mid 90's/early '00. Most reviews have stated it, it's an all tube amp which possibly makes it the best/loudest priced piece of gear on the market. Don't quote me on that, but it looks like it was designed after a 57 Fender model. I cover a lot of styles and so does this amplifier. I can go from B.B King, pass over to Clapton and get to Iron Maiden with little to no tweak and the right guitar, no effects what'soever. I have yet to see one that will let you do more within the same price range. I use it at home and my friend's house. It's power is strong enough for me and definitely too much for my neighbors and friends.

paukkumaissi70
    I think it's ridiculous how soon the clean channel starts breaking up. With guitar mic down to 10% it starts squealing when volume's 4/12 or 5/12. I found it impossible to get a clean tone for rhythm playing in a mid-sized venue with my band, even though I was mic'd!