Classic 50/212-Tweed review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 50/212-Tweed

Purchased from: Michigan Store

This amp really lets your pickups Shine. Most of the time, this is a very good thing. If you spend 300 bucks on a good set of pickups, you can hear it with this amp! But the letdown is... if you have a set of cheap import pickups, it'll sound bland and uninspiring. I think single coils sound best with this amp, but humbuckers sound mighty fine too! As I said before, I play blues and rock, and this amp was made for those genres. It's quite quiet, but seeing as it's EL84 equipped, you're going to get a noticeable amount of background noise, but a nice noise supressor and proper grounding will fix that right up. This amp has a HUGE range of sounds. You can get flat, fat, shimmering, full, hollow, raunchy, whatever your heart desires. The clean channel stays clean for a long time, but there's a sweet spot in the clean volume which you can hear it break up. It goes like clean, little bit of breakup, boom, heavenly power tube overdrive. This amp was made to be used with pedals. A tubescreamer would sound excellent with it. The "distortion", is actually more of an overdrive. I used a hotrails with the classic with JJ tubes in it (which I recommend), and I can get reasonably brutal distortion. Think a bit of Metallica, but you'll need an overdrive or distortion pedal to get heavier types of metal.

I will save time and not restate my review, as I'm short on time, but I can highly recommend this amp to anyone Who plays rock, blues, jazz, country, basically anything but scandinavian death metal. And even then, all you'd need is a nice distortion/overdrive to get those sounds. If it was stolen/lost, I'd probably buy a new one. I may want to try out the Delta Blues series, or maybe search for Vintage fenders or whatnot. I compared it to a Fender Hotrod Deville. The deville has slightly better cleans, but the classic owns it in every other way. First off, the deville's dirty channels are disappointing, kinda thin. I wish it had better stock speakers. That's about the only thing. This thing weighs a ton, so you'll get some muscles if you gig or move it a lot. Highly recommended!

This amp is a tank. The guy Who owned it before me must have gigged because the little metal plate in the back (stating serial number, etc), is completely scratched and smashed up. Only God knows how that happened, because the tweed tolex (which is sexy), is completely unharmed. I can depend on this amp for anything. If I gigged, I'd bring a backup, but that's with any amp.

I tried posting a review for the 410 version (the one I own), but it was giving me troubles posting it, probably something to do with my computer. But... Both the 410 and 212 sound similar, just different speaker configurations. Anyways... mine was made in 2003, the newer Peavey classic line has been available since 1991. One trademark feature of this am is that it's very versatile and responsive to your gear. And ask anyone on UG, they'll say that your amp is 70-90% of your tone (With Marshalls or similar amps), but with the Peavey classic, both your amp and your guitar contribute equally to the tone. I play mainly SRV-style blues, and Rock. This amp can handle metal with proper higher-gain tubes and high output pickups. EMG's would sound very nice on this amp. It is a 2 channel amp, which are Normal (clean), and Lead. It has channel switching on the footpedal, it has a good effects loop, but it doesn't have a headphone jack, which really doesn't matter since I don't play quiet. I kind of wish it had a seperate EQ for the 2 channels, but you could always get an EQ pedal to change settings when you Switch channels. Other than that, it's a real old-school amp, not a lot of features, just hot looks, great tone, and durability to shake a stick at. I use this amp for practice, in the studio (which is more of a closet), and it is capable of doing gigs. It is an all tube amp, with 3 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 4 EL84 tubes.