Classic 50/212-Tweed review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 50/212-Tweed

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

My typical rig is simple: an Ibanez Artcore AS73B straight into the Classic 50. It's a semi-hollowbody (think ES-335) with two humbuckers, and it's a fantastic guitar. The Classic 50 does an excellent job of bringing out the rich, complex tonal character of the guitar. My musical style is alternative rock with an experimental effects-heavy twist, and this amp suits my needs perfectly when I need a straight up distorted sound or beautiful cleans. The distortion channel on this amp is reminiscent of a Fender (in fact, the Classic was modeled after the Fender Bassman), but without the mud. At mid-gain levels the distortion is almost British sounding, a little higher is classic rock heaven, and dimed it gives a perfect punk or hard rock distortion. Noise is about nonexistant. The clean channel is also very Fender-y and can go from bright and twangy to jazzy with some manipulation of pickups and tone knobs. It starts to break up nicely at around halfway up on the volume (probably due to the speakers) and gets surprisingly distorted at about 9 or 10. Power tube distortion on this thing is lovely.

This amp has become an extension of my guitar, and it suits my band's style perfectly. This amp can play anything short of all out death-grind-metal-core without breaking a sweat. I've been playing for almost 3 years and this is my second amp. I am in love with it's sound, it's looks, it's volume, and it's superior versatility. In the price range there is nothing comparable, mine was $350! If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. This is amp takes a truly classic design and makes it timeless.

Peavey has a reputation for reliability, and this amp is a perfect example of that. This one has lasted since 1994 and it's still rockin' as hard as ever. I got it well-used in March, but in excellent condition from a caring owner Who even replaced the tubes before selling the amp to the store for me to stumble upon. I've gigged with it regularly about once or twice a month, and beside from carrying the customary backup tubes I haven't even thought about needing a backup.

My Peavey Classic 50 was made in 1994 (according to the user manual), so it's fairly old in the Classic line of amps. The amp is very versatile for literally every style except the heaviest of metal, and with a petal and some EMG's I'm sure it could pull that off as well. This amp has two footswitchable channels, clean and lead. There is an effects loop, as well as an external speaker jack. The Classic also has footswitchable spring reverb. The amp has 50 watts of pure tube power (312AX7 and 4 EL84 tubes), which is more than enough for band practice and small/medium gigs. Stock, the Peavey Classics come with Blue Marvels, but I acquired mine second hand and the previous owner outfitted it with a pair of discontinued Celestion G12L's. I like a no-frills amp, but I'm giving it a 9 because a footswitchable volume boost and independent channel EQ's would be nice.

TokyoPartyboy
    Would this handle something like an OD pedal well?
    I use it with many pedals (also a booster and an OD) and it works good.
    freshtunes
    Absolutely incredible, perfect tone. Blown away. Before this I owned a couple of solid state, and now I'm a believer in the tubes and will not play anything but.