Classic 50/212-Tweed Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 01/17/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Peavey: Classic 50/212-Tweed
With its responsive gain structure and warm/punch double-team of 12AX7 and EL84 tubes, Classic Series guitar amps are revered by gritty blues benders, chicken pickin' country cats and nouveau-Stones rockers alike. These amps are available in vintage tweed with Blue Marvel speakers and knobs straight out of the rock 'n' roll revolution.
 24,878
reviews (4) pictures (4) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Classic 50/212-Tweed Reviewed by: LaroldC, on february 26, 2007

Features: The all-tube, all-analog 2006 Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo is very basic and intuitive, a very old-school amp for serious players. It has power and standby switches and is fan-cooled. It features dual switchable channels: normal and lead (with pre and post). Both are controlled by a master volume. It has spring reverb and 3 bands of EQ (bass, mid, and treble) plus a presence control. There are two inputs, normal and bright. The channel selection and reverb can be controlled by an optional footswitch and there is an effects loop. There are separate output jacks for 8-Ohm or 16-Ohm (stock) speakers, so a slave speaker cabinet can be used. The only missing item is a headphone jack, but since all effects processors have them, Who really needs one on their amp? // 9

Sound: The real beauty of the amp is its pure, clean tone, even at high volume. You can't accuse this baby of being noisy. It can get hugely loud without breaking up, but it sounds super-sweet at rehearsal room volume. Either channel can be set for nice, chunky tube overdrive, but the Lead channel's distortion obviously gets a whole lot hotter. I play an all-single-coil 2004 Standard Strat, mostly in the out-of-phase pickup positions, however the neck pickup used in-phase sounds amazingly fat and warm through this amp. Mostly, I keep the amp set totally clean and on the slightly brighter side of flat and run either of two processors, a Boss GT-8 or an older DigiTech RP-10, to get the exact distortions and effects I need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built for the road, very tough, with no flimsy switches or plastic hardware. The control panel is shiny chrome. The black chicken-head knobs are heavy duty composite and the all-steel switches are big, meaty, and solid. Even the vinyl covering is dense and substantial. As far as reliability goes, this thing is the ultimate. I have stopped lugging around a backup amp. This is the second Classic 50 I have owned (after three years I stupidly traded "up" my previous one towards a Vox AC30 CC2X, which I later returned and went back to the Classic 50) and I have never had even a small problem with either the old one or the new one. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in a European ethinc band, which calls for a lot of very clean, twangy rhythm guitar and occasional singing, melodic leads. We also do a lot of classic rock and older pop, from Beatles to Chris Isaak to U2. For a guitar-driven band, the Classic 50 is the real deal. It offers the high quality sound of a way more expensive system and wraps it up in a rugged, reliable, and powerful combo package. For under $1000, this thing is a steal, and an absolute must-have for the working guitarist. // 10

Classic 50/212-Tweed Reviewed by: darkarbiter7, on november 06, 2007

Purchased from: Michigan Store

Features: I tried posting a review for the 410 version (the one I own), but it was giving me troubles posting it, probably something to do with my computer. But... Both the 410 and 212 sound similar, just different speaker configurations. Anyways... mine was made in 2003, the newer Peavey classic line has been available since 1991. One trademark feature of this am is that it's very versatile and responsive to your gear. And ask anyone on UG, they'll say that your amp is 70-90% of your tone (With Marshalls or similar amps), but with the Peavey classic, both your amp and your guitar contribute equally to the tone. I play mainly SRV-style blues, and Rock. This amp can handle metal with proper higher-gain tubes and high output pickups. EMG's would sound very nice on this amp. It is a 2 channel amp, which are Normal (clean), and Lead. It has channel switching on the footpedal, it has a good effects loop, but it doesn't have a headphone jack, which really doesn't matter since I don't play quiet. I kind of wish it had a seperate EQ for the 2 channels, but you could always get an EQ pedal to change settings when you Switch channels. Other than that, it's a real old-school amp, not a lot of features, just hot looks, great tone, and durability to shake a stick at. I use this amp for practice, in the studio (which is more of a closet), and it is capable of doing gigs. It is an all tube amp, with 3 12AX7 preamp tubes, and 4 EL84 tubes. // 8

Sound: This amp really lets your pickups Shine. Most of the time, this is a very good thing. If you spend 300 bucks on a good set of pickups, you can hear it with this amp! But the letdown is... if you have a set of cheap import pickups, it'll sound bland and uninspiring. I think single coils sound best with this amp, but humbuckers sound mighty fine too! As I said before, I play blues and rock, and this amp was made for those genres. It's quite quiet, but seeing as it's EL84 equipped, you're going to get a noticeable amount of background noise, but a nice noise supressor and proper grounding will fix that right up. This amp has a HUGE range of sounds. You can get flat, fat, shimmering, full, hollow, raunchy, whatever your heart desires. The clean channel stays clean for a long time, but there's a sweet spot in the clean volume which you can hear it break up. It goes like clean, little bit of breakup, boom, heavenly power tube overdrive. This amp was made to be used with pedals. A tubescreamer would sound excellent with it. The "distortion", is actually more of an overdrive. I used a hotrails with the classic with JJ tubes in it (which I recommend), and I can get reasonably brutal distortion. Think a bit of Metallica, but you'll need an overdrive or distortion pedal to get heavier types of metal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a tank. The guy Who owned it before me must have gigged because the little metal plate in the back (stating serial number, etc), is completely scratched and smashed up. Only God knows how that happened, because the tweed tolex (which is sexy), is completely unharmed. I can depend on this amp for anything. If I gigged, I'd bring a backup, but that's with any amp. // 10

Overall Impression: I will save time and not restate my review, as I'm short on time, but I can highly recommend this amp to anyone Who plays rock, blues, jazz, country, basically anything but scandinavian death metal. And even then, all you'd need is a nice distortion/overdrive to get those sounds. If it was stolen/lost, I'd probably buy a new one. I may want to try out the Delta Blues series, or maybe search for Vintage fenders or whatnot. I compared it to a Fender Hotrod Deville. The deville has slightly better cleans, but the classic owns it in every other way. First off, the deville's dirty channels are disappointing, kinda thin. I wish it had better stock speakers. That's about the only thing. This thing weighs a ton, so you'll get some muscles if you gig or move it a lot. Highly recommended! // 9

Classic 50/212-Tweed Reviewed by: stradivari310, on may 07, 2008

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: My Peavey Classic 50 was made in 1994 (according to the user manual), so it's fairly old in the Classic line of amps. The amp is very versatile for literally every style except the heaviest of metal, and with a petal and some EMG's I'm sure it could pull that off as well. This amp has two footswitchable channels, clean and lead. There is an effects loop, as well as an external speaker jack. The Classic also has footswitchable spring reverb. The amp has 50 watts of pure tube power (312AX7 and 4 EL84 tubes), which is more than enough for band practice and small/medium gigs. Stock, the Peavey Classics come with Blue Marvels, but I acquired mine second hand and the previous owner outfitted it with a pair of discontinued Celestion G12L's. I like a no-frills amp, but I'm giving it a 9 because a footswitchable volume boost and independent channel EQ's would be nice. // 9

Sound: My typical rig is simple: an Ibanez Artcore AS73B straight into the Classic 50. It's a semi-hollowbody (think ES-335) with two humbuckers, and it's a fantastic guitar. The Classic 50 does an excellent job of bringing out the rich, complex tonal character of the guitar. My musical style is alternative rock with an experimental effects-heavy twist, and this amp suits my needs perfectly when I need a straight up distorted sound or beautiful cleans. The distortion channel on this amp is reminiscent of a Fender (in fact, the Classic was modeled after the Fender Bassman), but without the mud. At mid-gain levels the distortion is almost British sounding, a little higher is classic rock heaven, and dimed it gives a perfect punk or hard rock distortion. Noise is about nonexistant. The clean channel is also very Fender-y and can go from bright and twangy to jazzy with some manipulation of pickups and tone knobs. It starts to break up nicely at around halfway up on the volume (probably due to the speakers) and gets surprisingly distorted at about 9 or 10. Power tube distortion on this thing is lovely. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Peavey has a reputation for reliability, and this amp is a perfect example of that. This one has lasted since 1994 and it's still rockin' as hard as ever. I got it well-used in March, but in excellent condition from a caring owner Who even replaced the tubes before selling the amp to the store for me to stumble upon. I've gigged with it regularly about once or twice a month, and beside from carrying the customary backup tubes I haven't even thought about needing a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp has become an extension of my guitar, and it suits my band's style perfectly. This amp can play anything short of all out death-grind-metal-core without breaking a sweat. I've been playing for almost 3 years and this is my second amp. I am in love with it's sound, it's looks, it's volume, and it's superior versatility. In the price range there is nothing comparable, mine was $350! If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. This is amp takes a truly classic design and makes it timeless. // 10

Classic 50/212-Tweed Reviewed by: cosminculea, on january 17, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in U.S.A., year 2011, 50watt, 2/12's, 2 channel with shared EQ, Blue marvel speakers made by Eminence, Normal/Bright inputs, Reverb and Presence, 3-12AX7's preamp tubes and 4-EL84's stock JJ for now. I'm into Blues, Jazz, Funk, Classic Rock, Fusion stuff. It does very nice the job and with good volume and low distortion/hum. It's one of the all purpose amps on the market in a decent price range. I bought this amp for my project studio and for the road, Peavey has some right sturdy equipment. This amp is LOUD, excuse me REALLY LOUD. My drummers had no problem hearing the guitar. You can use this amp into medium - large gigs. // 10

Sound: In one sentence, this amp sounds absolutely lovely. Stunning. I'm using this with a Korean Hohner HRX DLX, a Aria MAC 45, 3 more electric guitars including a Ibanez hollow-body jazz guitar, and a couple of 10 external effects, but that takes nothing away from this amp. Starting with the clean channel: The sound is a little fuller around the middle and not quite as bright, but don't think that I'm saying it's muddy, it's just a little warmer than a fender. The bright input is pure fender. Very clean, very trebly but with less mids. I find that the bright input works nice on an electro acoustic where strings are more picked. It has a very nice sharp top end. The amp stays clean right up until it starts getting painful to the ears and by then I couldn't hear anything, let alone distortion. The overdrive on this baby sounds great. With the post gain turned up about half way you get mild overdrive sound that is very bluesy. Turn it up a little bit more and you have the nicest sounding overdrive. It's not harsh at all, it's warm, smooth and full of mids. Sounds vintage. If you do get this amp I doubt you'll want to turn the post gain up to the full 12 (yes 12!). It doesn't give that full on distortion boosty sound associated with metal solos, but just sounds like an overdriven mess and spoils the sound of the amp. Best to lay off 1 or 2 notches for a nicer OVER overdriven sound. This amp is perfect for blues Blues, Jazz, Funk, Classic Rock, Fusion stuff (spring reverb is good), and basically any types of music where a lot of mids and a thick sounding overdrive would sound good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is build like a tank. Never had a problem with it. Peavey has a very comprehensive website. Very helpful. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing off and on for 20 years. I seem to have found a well kept secret in this amp. It sounds better than many amp head that cost 5 to 10 times as much. I really like the fixed bias. These amps are getting harder to find (tweeds even more so). If you can find one in good shape, pick it up - You won't regret it! // 10

Comments