Classic 50/410 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 50/410

Purchased from: Guy on craigslist

My current set-up is an Epiphone Firebird VII, a First Act strat copy guitar (which I modded to put onboard effects in), and a DigiTech GNX2 (which I rarely use because it sucks). The First Act sounds pretty nice- though I lean away from it now because it gets a little noisy. I've heard great things about how well this amp sounds on other strats (real Fenders I mean). The Firebird truly does kick ass on this thing. Like I said, I play blues and classic rock; and damn does this thing just melt faces off. If you're into Led Zeppelin stuff it will suit you VERY well. Any old bands can be mimicked perfectly. There are some youtube videos that demonstrate this sound that I recommend you look up. I can also get a pretty good metal sound out of it as well. With the pre volume on full and the presence knob all the way up, you can do a ton of stuff by rolling the tone back on the guitar and "bluesing" away. The distortion is a little hard to describe. Although it is perfect for all of my blues and classic rock stuff, I've tried doing some modern things and it doesn't work as great as my Fender FM 212R (which I'm selling after I got this Peavey). It's a "sharp" kind of distortion, very bright sound. Hard to describe in typing really. The normal channel is really nice too. Again, the amp enables you do to a lot of stuff with the knobs on your guitar. Vaughan, Zeppelin, Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, you know the artists. This amp nails 'em. I have yet to turn the clean up all the way, I don't think I want to either.

I've already said my styles and it's perfect. Absolutely perfect. I've been playing for four years (has it been that long) now. I'll be getting a Les Paul soon (Epiphone wish it was a Gibson) to go with this amp. If this thing was stolen I really do think that I would try to get it back, that is unless there was some awesome Marshall JCM 900 half stack out there for $500 or something. I compared this amp to a Peavey Delta Blues 210, a Peavey Delta Blues 115, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410. I could have gotten all of those amps for a cheaper price than what I got this for, but I went ahead and got this anyway. I think there's something about having a mini army of 4 10 inch speakers that makes me all giddy with glee. I like having power. In a sense it's like a really fast car. Great handling, great interior, nice features, goes fast when you need it, shows off when you go slow, and will definitely land you some chicks.

The amp is built like, looking for a simile here, well it's built like something really strong. I'm comfortable sitting on it while playing. My Fender FM 212R used to rattle when I turned it up and when I had it in the back of my car it was rattling like a speaker was loose on the screws or something, well this amp doesn't do that. In fact, I'll kick it right now and, oh! Nothing happened. Still in tact. I've heard stories about this thing falling over (other guy's amps, not mine) and still working. This amp is used- and it being a 1993 model is pretty damn good for it to still be in this great of shape. The previous owner replaced the preamp tubes but I'm not really sure how much life the poweramp tubes have on them. Great durability on this thing.

This is a Peavey Classic 50 (410 version). Mine's a 1993 model; and as I stated before it is used. It has some rips, tears, and stains but whatever that doesn't affect the sound. I play mainly blues and classic rock stuff, but the occasional metal pops out and I'll be playing Metallica or something. I actually can get a really nice Ted Nugent sound out of it too. This is an all tube amp with 50 watts and 4 10" speakers. The speakers are the regular Blue Marvel speakers that are in most Peavey amps. It has two switchable channels and two inputs (one normal, one bright). The 3 band EQ is not separate, so what you chose is going to be on both channels. The footswitch does have a reverb control, which is a very nice touch. The effects loop is in the back which is kind of hard to get to, but it's there. The 50 watts is plenty for anything I'm doing right now. I'll be gigging soon with a band and I've already cranked this thing up outside so I'm not afraid of anything happening. I was debating between this amp and the Peavey Delta Blues 210 because the Blues amp had a tremelo which was a nice feature, but this thing was calling me, I felt the psychedelic frequencies in my brain.

westo
    I was thinking about oranges, but they're just too expensive and really hard to find used around here.
    simonsudd
    I've had mine for about two years now and it's awesome. I play mostly indie and it has a great rock n roll sound, but i'm going to upgrade to an orange and do the a/b box between the two.
    westo
    0Billie0Joe0 wrote: Does it come with a footswitch? If not, what footswitch can I use with it?
    I got it used and it came with a footswitch. Ummm *checks website*... yeah on musiciansfriend.com it says it has a footswitch. So I'm guessing it does. And if you go to guitar center and they don't give you one, just ask for it at the counter when buying it and they'll put in an order for one (should be free too) so yeah.
    darkarbiter7
    It's a great amp, and they're pretty common used. They sound great, built like tanks, look cool, and are just all around great. I heard better speakers and tubes really livens it up. One complaint is... it doesn't seem to like bassy pickups. Like... It'd probably sound bad with warm pickups. My blue lace sensors sound kinda farty on the lead channel, but my hotrails sounds great and crunchy. This amp is best used with a singlecoil equipped guitar.
    fusion48
    whats the difference between the 4x10 and the 2x12? im getting a 4x10 reli soon, but its like an extra 100 quid
    agawryluk
    I've had the peavey classic 50 head and the 410 cabinet now for 11 years. It is an early 1990's model. I have been on the road with me all over Western Canada and into the Yukon. It needs regular tube replacements... I use Groove Tubes.. They burn out quickly if you play regularly at high Volume... I find this amp has an amazing sound with Blues, Jazz, country, and even if I play classical on my ESP clean. I run a tube screamer, T-Bone Dan electro, Ibanez analogue Delay and Modulation, as well as a crybaby through an SKB Stereo (powered) pedal board. Problems - Speaker rattle at high volume with Bass... Kill the Bass and its good. I have used the Effects Loops but I find it Inconvenient. I think 50 watts is barely enough to play with a loud band (i.e.: punk or Metal) Good stuff: Great tone. If you mic the amp and run it through the board and the mains you can get great sound with a loud band... I will never get rid of this amp. I will replace it as a performance tool and keep it in the studio for recording. I'm not sure what to use for performance because I need something with similar tone but at least twice the volume. Any suggestions?
    masterp666
    any opinions on what tubes would best replace the stock ones for those who have used it for a while? i know agawryluk uses groove tubes, as stated. any opinions on that?
    chatter4500
    darkarbiter7, this amp loves warm pickups and it loves humbuckers, especially for jazz. Donno what you mean by "farty."
    akshay.p
    hi I'm thinking of buying this amp used. my only concern is whether it will sound shitty if I play metal through it...any comments?