Classic 50/410 review by Peavey

Peavey: Classic 50/410

Purchased from: Local Music Store

As I've said in my other posts, I've become largely a single coil Fender player, but for many years, I ran guitars with humbuckers through this amp and it has never been anything short of incredible! I play across a wide range of genres and it hits them all head on. It uses the same reverb tank as many of the old Fenders... As a matter of fact, my Classic 50 and '78 Super Reverb tanks were interchangeable. When my SR tank broke down, the Peavey tank got subbed in and performed without a hitch. As far as the tube break up, you'd REALLY have to crank this thing to get it to break up due to its hefty 50 watts. That said, it can be done but I tend to prefer the cleaner sound myself.

This is a great match for any musician (maybe barring metal). I have played for roughly 20 years and this amp has become part of who I am as a musician. If something were to ever happen to my particular amp, I'd be devastated and would absolutely replace it immediately! I don't know what, if anything, has changed in the design of these amps over the years so I would replace it with another early '90s one for sure! The only negative which is completely unavoidable for this type of amp is the weight... 63 lbs. But it's worth lugging around for what you get in return!

YouTube preview picture

So like I said, I've gigged and done studio sessions extensively with this amp. I've replaced the tubes once out of preference (which needed no biasing since this is a pre-biased amp) and replaced the 3 prong plug when the ground came out. That is literally the extent of it. I also neglected this amp for many years and traveled without a road case so it was exposed to pretty brutal environments... It didn't seem to mind. If you're considering a HOT Rod Deville, consider this. I played in a band along side our other guitar player who played a 410 Deville. They're great amps although I prefer the HOT Rod Deluxe. However in the years that we played together, he's had to replace tubes multiple times which included having them biased by an amp tech on each occasion ($$). He has screws that randomly work their way loose, has had to replace a circuit board due to an oversight in design, and has battled overheating issues. My amp on the other hand? Works every time without a stumble!

Back in 1995 I saved up my money and bought a Peavey Classic 50 used at my local music store for (a now laughable) $315... I was 12 years old. I'm now one month shy of 30. I've played literally hundreds, if not thousands of gigs from small acoustic style private parties to outdoor amphitheater shows. This amp has been with me every step of the way. For a time, I played through a '78 Super Reverb and every time that amp failed me (which was often), my Classic 50 was there to pick up the slack. It is a two channel amp with reverb which makes it unbelievably versatile. I've become a stompbox guy and this one takes them better than most any other I've played through. It also has an effects loop which is a great added feature for pedal usage. The only negative in terms of features that I would give it (and other similar amps made by other companies) is the "Presence" control... I just fail to see the benefit and typically I run it all the way or almost all the way down.

ege6000
    hi i am thinking to buy classic 30, is it good like this and i play mostly classic heavy metal ( sabbath, metallica and megadeth) i use emg's, can it make a good high gain ?
    katsogianos
    I have the Classis 50 head & two of the 410 cabs. It was sold as a full stack at a friends music store,$700.00 out the door. It was the first year model, though I bought it in 96. It does not have an FX loop, that was added the second or third year.. I think. Using the clean channel and running any pedal or multi through the front you can achieve any sound from a JC clean to a Fender clean, think SRV Little wing, Lenny, tone. That is just straight to the amp, as I do not care much for the crunch channel. But it's usable, just not my thing. Put any pedal and I have many, through the front and there are no limits to the sounds you can get. But I think any amp that has a great clean is capable of this. I have read that Joe only used the clean on his JSX with all his pedals going in. Having said that, I had chances to sell this stack many times, I can't it has become part of my tone. And it has seen no repairs other than tube changes, fuses, and the power light.