Delta Blues 210 review by Peavey

Peavey: Delta Blues 210

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play a Squier Stratocaster (not those crappy Affinity Strat's, I play an actualy Stratocaster copy... much higher quality than the Affinity's) and an Agile 2500 HS (I think that's the model, it's the SG copy that they sell [or used to sell]) with all stock pickups, as I don't know enough to switch them and don't have enough money to take them to a shop to be switched. Besides looking good, this amp sounds AMAZING. With crystal clear bell-like highs and tight and responsive lows, this amp will suit every clean style imaginable. I've compared it to the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and although the Fender has sparkly cleans, it just couldn't match the tone and punch of the Peavey. I only cranked it up to 5 (of 12) and that was loud enough to nearly make my ears bleed, and it didn't distort, though I've heard that the Delta Blues 115 tends to distort at 4... Two thumbs up for the clean section. This amp has to have some of the best crunch I have ever heard coming from an amp. I can easily get the mouth-watering distortion used in Metallica's cover of Whiskey In The Jar, and then just by turning down the pre-gain a few notches, get the perfect sound for Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Tightrope". You can't exactly get that metal sound (such as Opeth, Children Of Bodom, or Metallica) with this amp, but given the name (Delta Blues) you shouldn't be buying this amp for that genre. You can always just hook up your fav pedal (DOD Death Metal!) and get that sound. It has "spring reverb" which is REAL reverb, which uses springs to produce the oh-so-relished reverb sound. Ergo, the quality of the reverb is completely flawless, and is nice and loose. The tremolo is amazing also, with perfect quality and no noise/hiss in the background when it is engaged (as with some multi-effects pedals). I've heard people complain that there is a sound drop when it is turned on, but i haven't noticed that; the only drop is in the tremolo itself, which is what it's supposed to do: to fluctuate your sound.

I've been playing for about one and a half years, and have come to appreciate a wide variety of musical genre's and equipment; this being one of the kinds in my collage of amps that I have tried. I play mostly metal, classic rock, heavy rock, and some emo/punk. For all my punk/emo and rock needs, this amp's got me covered. I can always just plug in my DOD Death Metal if I want to get that metal sound. This is one top-end amp; a STEAL for the money that was paid for it.

As far as realiability goes, Peavey is the reigning champ. I've dealt with them before with my Rage 158 (first amp and amp I had before the Delta Blues) and they were very helpful and quick to respond. I haven't had to contact them about the Delta Blues yet, as it's been holding pretty good so far. It seems to be sturdily built, as most Peavey's are. I would certainly gig without a backup with it, though I might bring some extra tubes, because the there is no back cover and the tubes are just hanging out for the world to see (which CAN be cool). I give it a four because of the lack of a back cover...

The amp was made in 2003, though I don't know what year it originated in. It is an all-tube combo amp (30 watts) with two 10 inch speakers (Blue Marvel brand) and has two channels. Knobs are: Normal (clean volume), Pre (pre-gain), Post (post-gain), Reverb (duh), Bass, Mid, Treble, Tremelo Intensity, and Tremolo Speed. Not as many options as other amps out there, but I wasn't looking for tons of effects and enough wattage to knock a wall down. Also has external speaker jack, remote switch (footswitch) jack, and effects send and effects return (effects loop). Everything is laid out nicely and easily accessible, and the classic chickenhead knobs are a nice addition. Everything seems to be extremely well built, no wobbly inputs/knobs and no loose screws. The footswitch allows you to switch between the clean and lead (distortion) channels, and let's you turn on and off the tremolo. I do however wish they had made it able to turn on and off the reverb instead of the tremolo... I give it a 4 because it's lacking a headphone jack and footswitchable reverb.