Envoy 110 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Peavey: Envoy 110

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

I've been playing about a year and a half, and my tone has gone through a lot of changes. When I was starting out, I used a really low bass sound, with the trebled almost completely taken out, and using the EMG 85 on my Hellraiser Deluxe. I eventually switched to a tone that sounds a lot like the tone on Blooddrunk by Children of Bodom. It's handled both quite well, considering it's not a tube amp. When I have used the built in distortion, it was noisy as all hell on the high gain switch, and really didn't do too much for me. The clean works well, unless you're maxing the volume on your pickup, in which case you won't ever get a sparkling clean. It suits metal well, and holds it's own as far as tone goes, with a pretty strong low end.

Like I said, I generally play metal, but it works well for blues and jazz as well. This was my first amp, and I still do like the tone it gives. I like the reverb and the Vintage/Classic setting on the clean channel a lot, they add a nice character to clean interludes, like the one on Master of Puppets. If it were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy another, because I have two, and I plan to get a tube amp soon anyway to get more power into my playing. This is my first review, so I would appreciate any feedback on it.

Here's where things get a bit iffy. It's a durable little amp, and would survive being thrown a bit, but I had one that broke down a month after I got it. We sent it back, and fortunately Peavey sent a new one, which has worked fine since. I own two of them, and used one for the school talent show in front of about 250 people in a decent sized room, and it worked perfectly. Plenty of power and tone. It also sounds better the louder you crank it, but you lose some of the low end power at higher volumes. It's only getting a 5 because of the defective one.

This is the newest Peavey Envoy model, made in about 2008. It's a pretty good little amp, at least on the clean side. I use a Metal Muff hooked up to this for the distorted tones, and it sounds killer. On the clean channel, it has a Vintage/Classic and a Warm switch. Vintage/Classic sounds great, and I generally have it set to that. It's also the quieter of the two. On the distortion end, it has a Classic, a modern, and a high gain switch. It also has a boost knob, which doesn't really do a whole lot, and a reverb, which doesn't compare to a pedal reverb, but adds a good bit to cleans and solos. It also has a Low Gain and High Gain imput, which is nice depending on what sound you want.