Pacer 100 review by Peavey

Peavey: Pacer 100

Purchased from: Guitar Showcase

I play mostly jazz. Much of the time I am arpegiating chords with finger picking, and bass lines. Inherent in this humble low cost amp, is a buzz from the power supply. In a quiet room you can hear it, but on gigs it is not noticable above the ambient noise. In the past I have used it with bands, and it gets a respectable blues type of distortion (which can be turned on with a footswitch, pugged into the jack in the back) I wouldn't call this amp highly versatile. It gets a few good sounds. Clean is my favorite.

I play clean, jazz, with a full range tone. This is a good match for what I do. If I played metal, I might look at another ammp. I've been playing for decades. My only regret is that I didn't buy two of these buggers. I really like this amp. If it were stolen, I'd feel like they took my favorite amp and a piece of history. I would look for another. I like the fact that this amp has no integrated circuits. It's all discrete components. The only downside of this amp is that, with a JBL in it, it weights about 45 pounds. It's a little heavy to carry around, but not too bad.

I use this amp regularly without carrying a backup. I trust it. However, I must say, that, I was told that Peavey had problems with the driver stage transformers on this model. I had a situation where it would cut in and out occasionally. This drove me a bit crazy. I decided to rebuild this amp, cheap components first. After replacing the electrolyic caps and semiconductor, resistors, etc, I finally replaced the driver transformer (the stage that feeds the final transistors). This appears to have been the issue. Since then everything has been great. I've used this amp on many, many gigs with no problem and simply think that it is grand (I discovered, by working on this amp just how very sturdy it was built). By the way, early on, I replaced the stock speaker with a JBL K120.

This guitar amp has basic features: input volume, distortion, treble, mid, bass, reverb, and master volume. This is a very straight forward amp, it is not complicated. I'd call it honest. This amp was made in the late seventies. It has a low voltage input and a high voltage input. It has one channel. It has no microprocessor, digital effects, etc. I use this amp to play jazz through. It has a very pleasing clean sound. I play solo, so I can hear its full sound very well (no other instruments sharing the audio spectrum). Mainly I play for people eating and drinking. Distortion is not in my repertoire. Its 45 watts can get pretty loud if necessary, but I playing quiet gigs, mostly. Many are outdoor, and require sound to carry across open areas. This amp gets this done with ease.