Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Daddy's Music

Between the 3 EQ knobs, the pre-gain control, and the vintage/modern switching (which is subtle), there is a pretty good variety of sounds you can get out of this amp. My only complaint regarding the distortion is that at REALLY high distortion--pre gain pretty much all the way up--it basically sounds like static. However, as long as you're not playing really weird stuff like Rage or Disturbed, you should be able to get enough distortion. Any noise I hear from this amp is from a guitar or a cable--when I use my Monster cable and a humbucker, there is no noise. Unfortunately, it tends to buzz a little at low pitches at medium to high volumes, but if you turn it up this much it hurts your ears anyway!

I bought this used and crazy cheap. It's what I play through almost all the time, and with no effects. It gets the job done and the price is right, and despite its small size and shortcomings, I've really gotten way more than my money's worth.

Never had to fix it in any way.

This is a simple little practice amp: 2 channels, clean and lead; lead has pre and post gain knobs. The volume on this thing is actually pretty good (for a 15W amp). Switching is done with a knife-switch type thing--no footswitching. There is a headphone jack and a CD/tape input--both work fine. The EQ has two modes: "Modern" and "Vintage". These, too, are controlled with a physical switch. The Vintage has a little more treble, a little more twang. The Modern is a little cleaner, closer to a pure tone. I use Vintage for blues/jazz, and the Modern for open chords, any type of distortion, and for a simpler sound with single coils.