Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Foxs Music

At the moment I have a Stagg Mockingbird and Fender Strat, both sound good on clean and distorted channels, especially the strat for those really deep grungy sounds that I like to play. the only time I get bad amounts of feedback are wen I sit directly infront of the amp. The clean channel does get a little distorted at high volume levels, but I've never needed to crank the clean channel so loud that it hurts, or sounds distorted. the distortion, isnt that brutal im a afraid, which is a big let down, but at the same time sounds clear enough for me to hear it whilst the gain is turned up high.

The amp is good for bluesy sounds, aswell as rock such as aerosmith sounds etc, but for metal/punk/grunge it sorta doesn't fill those shoes! The amp is excellent for any sort of music, but I do believe that the Rage 158 is the best practice amp on the market. I regret not asking if the amp can take a pedal, which it cant, and if someone stole it, I'd chase after them with a bat until I got it back. My favourite feature has to be the channel switch, its smotth, easy to use, and is very useful. I compared this to a Marshall 15W practice amp and I chose the rage because it was the clearest, and most of all suited my playing style better than the Marshall.

I've not had a problem with this amp, it's had beer spilt on it, it's been dropped down stairs and it still lives! The sound hasnt changed since I bought it, and not once have I needed to replace any parts in two years.

This amp was made in 2002, but I have no idea where! The amp itself is extremely versatile, I play lots of Grunge, metal, and punk and it meets the standards of that all round, also, my friend plays a lot of blues and jazz, and he often pays me a visit just to play the amp, as he thinks its much better than the Marshall he bought, for twice the price. I great thing that the amp comes with, is the manual. At the back of the manual there are suggested tone and EQ levels for different styles of music and sound, which I thought was great for beginners. The rage has one channel swith, from clean to distorted, and a headphone jack, theres also a modern/vintage switch which is great for playing different eras of music. I wish the rage had a few effects on it, like the Marshall practice amps, just so that I am able to extend the playing styles. I use this amp both in my bedroom and sometimes in rehearsals in my band, and the power it belts out is great for a 15 watt!