Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology Romford Essex

Mainly rock, metal softrock those sorts of things. The amp seems to handle these very well but as you get more experienced buy a pedal as the distortion isnt as good as pedal distortion. It does suit my music style at the moment because I have a range of styles depending on what mood. I like the clean sounds on this amp. The amp is well sheilded and doesnt make any noises. The only noises I get is from my pickups on the neck but that can be sorted. Bluesy sounds are good , rock like deep purple sounds good. Soft pop songs are good for this it has a good variety of songs that it can do. The clean channel is distorted on high volumes but if you turn down the bass a little then this can be resolved to a certain extent. Distortion can sound a little messy but if you are more experienced you can get different sounds out of the amp.

Very good for older rock or clean sounds like Lynard Skynard Sweet Home Alabama. It just has that nice tone to it. I've been playing nearly 5 years and the amp has done me well. I own a gibson goth explorer and that also sounds nice through the amp. I own a Korg AX1500G pedal which you have to buy to get even better use out of this amp. You will be shocked how much better it makes the amp. If it were stolen I would definantly buy it again. It's been excellent. I love the fact that it is compact and mean looking (the older shaped one). I don't hate anything about it. My favourite feature is the clean channel because it has a nice sound. I compared it to a 25 watt Ibanez amplifier and id much rather this one it has much better distortion and is excellent for practice and small gigs. I just wish it had reverb thats all. You could get some nicer sounds if you had this like a bit of long lasting blues sounds.

I cannot fault this amplifer it is excellent. I would use it on a gig but only a small one not for large places. I wouldnt need a backup the amp is very good.

Not sure what year the amplifier was made in but it isnt that old only around 5 years at the most. If your a beginner and you want to have some distortion and a bit of clean the amp is very good. It can give you any type of style you want really. Soft rock such as Guns n Roses is a good one for this amp. For clean sounds it can do any type of music it is very good. The amplifier has 10 channels of distortion but you can play about with these depending on the type of music you wish to play. ALthough a little disapointed with the pre on the amp as if you move this a little too much the sound goes really loud on distortion or if you dont do it enough its too low and the amp sounds tinty. Its quite fiddely to do that but for a bedroom the amp is great. I wish the Rage 158 had reverb. I never used to like this until I got more experienced. But now I cant live with out it since I got a Korg AX1500G this is an excellent pedal to use with this amp. I use this amp in my bedroom although I have giged with it a couple of times. The clean sounds distort a little bit when they are pushed at a high level and you can see why this amp is really meant to be for practicing. The amp is a transtube amp and I would recommend it!