Rage 158 review by Peavey

Peavey: Rage 158

Purchased from: Sameul Music

I am using it with a Squire Affinity Strat and play mostly rock and metal. It has no real problem with classic or regular rock, but metal could use a little boost. It does get a bit noisy when you put lead on with full post gain. As for the clean channel, max volume gives little if any feedback. And as I said before the distortion is a bit weak, but it still gets the job done.

This amp is perfect for a practice amp or something just to screw around on. I would say it ranks a notch above the Fender 15G amp. For a 15 watt amp it can really give off some noise and still keep it clean, I would recommend this amp to any beginners.

This amp does have an open back side that I often worry about, but the casing is quite sturdy and dependable. For the couple of months that I've owned it, it hasn't broken down at all.

I got this amp just a couple months ago brand new so I'm gonna say it's a 2004. The amp is not bad when it comes to versatility, metal is a little on the weak side however. But with the post gain and equilizers up the distortion isn't too shabby. It has clean/lead switching along with modern/vintage. It has both a headphone and CD output jack although I never really use either. This amp stays in my bedroom and is plenty loud for that. I'll also mention that it is the transtube series, but I'm not sure what difference that makes.